Adjusting the Auber PID

Started by Smoking Duck, December 10, 2008, 12:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Hey all,

I was bored (go figure) so I decided to do the boiling water test to see where my Auber and Maverick was reading the temp.  My Maverick is fine (meat probe read 212F and smoker probe read 211F).  However, my Auber only read 204F.  So, I've got an 8F difference between the two.  My instinct tells me to go with the Maverick since 212F is the boiling temp of water.  Does anyone know how to adjust the Auber by 8 degrees so that I can get really dialed in?  It doesn't make much difference to me on most smokes, but I'm going to be doing some venison sausage soon and would really feel more comfortable dialing it in.

Thanks!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

SD, I am not familiar with the Auber but do program temperature controllers mostly every day. All controllers I have ever used have a place to make the adjustment you need. Some call it a 'BIAS' setting others call it 'OFFSET'. I would think the Auber has something but I cannot tell you how to do it. Look for offset or bias in the manual. Normally it is located in the section where you set up the thermocouple type you are using.
pens

Mr Walleye

SD

It is the Pb setting. Here is a quote from the manual....

6.11 Input offset "Pb"
Pb is used to make input offset to compensate the error produced by sensor or input signal itself. "Pb" is used to make input shift to compensate the error produced by measurement.
Example: If the temperature probe is measuring 5ºC in ice water, it For example, provided that the input signal remains unchanged, if parameter "Pb" is set to 0.0ºF, the temperature measurement of the instrument is If the instrument probe is measuring 500.0 ºF when "Pb" is set to 0.0 degrees, then when "Pb" is set to 10.0 ºF, the instrument will read 510.0 ºF.

Here's a link to the manual...
http://auberins.com/images/Manual/Manual%20version%203.4.pdf

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

Yep, hes right. I just looked over the manual and the Pb setting is the one. Its kind of confusing because most industrial temperature controllers the Pb setting is for the PID's, Proportional band? But thats the one to adjust.

Smoking Duck

Guys,
Thanks for the info.  However, I'm still pretty much confused.  If my Auber is reading 204 when it should read 212, do I set the PB to +8 or -8?

Thanks!

Sorry for being a nitwit!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 10, 2008, 02:44:08 PM
Guys,
Thanks for the info.  However, I'm still pretty much confused.  If my Auber is reading 204 when it should read 212, do I set the PB to +8 or -8?

Thanks!

Sorry for being a nitwit!

Not being a nitwit SD! It is confusing!  ;)

I think you want +8

As soon as you set it, wait a few seconds and it will return to show your temp and you will see the change right away. If it's wrong, go back in and make another adjustment.

Mike

Smoking Duck

Thanks Mike!  (But I'm still a nitwit ;D)

Smoking Duck

I think I got it.  Got the water boiling to check it now.  Thanks again Mike.  You're one of my favorite Canucks!  ;D

Update: works like a champ.  Thanks again, Mike and Pens!

Mr Walleye

Hey that's great SD!

I'm happy to hear I'm a favorite something!  ::) :D

Mike from Canuckville... eh!  :D  ;D