Temperature help needed!!

Started by KyNola, November 11, 2008, 01:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Fellow forum members,
This past Sunday I did my latest batch of Kummok's salmon.  For the first time I am proud to say no boogers!  I smoked the salmon for 2 hours and 40 minutes at 110-120 and then pushed the temp to 140 for the next 2 hours and 170ish for the next hour or so.  All temps verified by the Maverick ET-73.  I checked the salmon strips with my Thermoworks instant read probe.  Range of temps read 120-130.  Took them out and at first taste realized they were terribly overcooked.  >:( Very dry and frankly tough.   >:( >:(  The salmon was Pacific caught Chum(supposedly).

I'm looking to you guys to tell me where I went wrong and what IT do you take your Kummok salmon out?  I verified that both my Maverick and my Thermoworks instant read probe are accurate with the boiling water test. Very very frustrating.

KyNola

Gizmo

Does chum have the same oil content that kings have?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Giz,
While I can't say for sure, I think that Chum salmon has less oil than Kings.

Does anyone know what the minimum IT is considered safe for salmon consumption?

Thank you for your knowledge and assistance.

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

For a safe IT the USDA says 145°F, but that is a recommended temperature. Some sources state 140°F - 142°F; while other sources state 130°F for the best results. Many species of fish that are cooked or smoked at a low temperature turn out mushy if the final IT is too low, I not sure if salmon is one of those species.

Meat - When Is It Done? Pt. 2

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tsquared

The problem is in the oil content. Chum has the lowest oil content of all the salmon species and therefore kummock's recipe needs to be adjusted accordingly. I would drop all temperatures by at least 20 degrees throughout the process if you do chum again. I have not done chum in the Bradley but I used to do them all the time in my previous home made smoker. I always did them at just slightly over the ambient temperature for long periods of time. 
T2

KyNola

Thanks for all your input.  I appreciate it.  I will follow everyone's lead on this.  Just really bummed me out when I followed the recipe to the letter, no boogers, beautiful color, etc.  Flavor was more than fine but the toughness just took everything else away.  May try some smoked salmon chowder.

Thanks so much for your knowledge,
KyNola

Gizmo

Chop and mix with mayonaise and other ingredients for salmon spread on bread or crackers.   :)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

To add to Gizmo's idea, if the salmon is too dry you can also mix it with cream cheese, or add it to soup or chowder just after you remove it from the heat. Kummok's Salmon Egg recipe is also good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Giz and Habs,
Thanks for the suggestions!

KyNola

Rider

Put it in the freezer for a week or so and try it again.  I find it brings out the oils and makes it more moist.
Smoke On