jeanne has a jerky ???

Started by SMOKEHOUSE ROB, December 30, 2004, 04:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

"quote frome jeanne " hi there
I bought my husband a bradley for xmas. He likes to hunt. I thought this would be a good way for him make some jerky. As it ends up I am the one who is most interested in this new contraption. Today i made some elk jerky with the special blend bisquettes. I used a jerky cure and seasoning mix that a nice man at the store recommended. I added some additional brown sugar and hot sauce to it. I cooked it at 150 degrees f for about 4 hours. It turned out kinda dark. Not really burnt....but dark. Is that normal? If any one has some recipe for elk or deer jerky let me know. Mine turned out kinda blah. Thanks!
need a bit more info? what kind of cure, your recipe and how long did it cure for? was it a rub or a brine? how long did it maranate for?

jaeger

Hi Jeanne!
Welcome to the forum. I have had good luck using high mountain original for sliced jerky,(beef and venison) and I have had good luck with the original seasoning from Eastman for a chopped/ground jerky. I usually marinate the sliced in the seasoning/cure for 24 hours before smoking. If I am making ground jerky it is a lot easier to run through the stuffing horn (oblong horn on the jerky cannon) while it is still moist. If you let the ground refrigerate overnight it will be harder to stuff. I need to get one of Rob's jerky racks so I can let it cure longer before smoking.
  The racks need to be rotated top to bottom and front to back at least once during smoke/cook. The pieces closest to the heating element will be done first and should start looking a nice cure color dark red when they are ready. I start taking off the ones that look done as I go. With the ground type I use a thermometer to insure that they are fully cooked. We really enjoy both kinds. When you try a ground type you can always add garlic powder,onion powder ,mustard seed etc...
Good luck,have fun and let us know how your next try works out for you![:)]
Doug

wwjd4700

[:)]HELLO EVERYONE, FIRST POST HERE. WIFE JUST GAVE ME THE BS FOR BIRTHDAY.....HAS BEEN ON MY WISHLIST FOR SOMETIME. I MAKE ALOT OF DEER JERKY AND HAVE FOUND WE REALLY LIKE THICKER PIECES MARINATED 24-48 HOURS IN 1/2 BROWN SUGAR 1/2 SOY SAUCE. FIRST BATCH WAS SMOKED 6 HOURS AT 170 DEGREES WITH HICKORY.....CANT MAKE IT FAST ENOUGH FOR ALL OF FAMILY ORDERS!!!  PLAYING AROUND WITH SMOKING MORE "JERKY" LIKE PIECES....FIRST BATCH WAS A LITTLE CRUNCHY...I ASSUME MY HEAT WAS TOO HIGH OR WAS LEFT IN TOO LONG. AFTER READING FORUMS IT SOUNDS LIKE ROTATING RACKS IS ALSO IMPORTANT.  

MAKE IT A GOOD ONE!

WWJD
HAVING FUN IN IOWA......

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wwjd4700</i>
<br />[:)]HELLO EVERYONE, FIRST POST HERE. WIFE JUST GAVE ME THE BS FOR BIRTHDAY.....HAS BEEN ON MY WISHLIST FOR SOMETIME. I MAKE ALOT OF DEER JERKY AND HAVE FOUND WE REALLY LIKE THICKER PIECES MARINATED 24-48 HOURS IN 1/2 BROWN SUGAR 1/2 SOY SAUCE. FIRST BATCH WAS SMOKED 6 HOURS AT 170 DEGREES WITH HICKORY.....CANT MAKE IT FAST ENOUGH FOR ALL OF FAMILY ORDERS!!!  PLAYING AROUND WITH SMOKING MORE "JERKY" LIKE PIECES....FIRST BATCH WAS A LITTLE CRUNCHY...I ASSUME MY HEAT WAS TOO HIGH OR WAS LEFT IN TOO LONG. AFTER READING FORUMS IT SOUNDS LIKE ROTATING RACKS IS ALSO IMPORTANT.  

MAKE IT A GOOD ONE!

WWJD
HAVING FUN IN IOWA......
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Welcome to the Forum, WW!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Jeanne!  How did your elk jerky come out?  I'm planning to do some jerky and sausage in the next few weeks--I'll let you now how it turns out.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA