First Smoke Completed

Started by Bullitt08, December 11, 2008, 06:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullitt08

I completed my first smoke with my new OBS today and it was a success. I decided to start off easy and try a top roast. I used a dry rub recipe found on the Bradely web site. I smoked for 2 hrs with Mesquite followed by 5.5 hours at 220o F.  The roast came out tender and very juicy with a hint of pink in center. Next time I will cook a little longer, wife likes hers with no pink. The OBS worked exactly as described in instructions and on this forum. Next up will be turkey (10-12#) for Christmas. I should have my "Bubbapucks" and ET-73 thermometer by then. Any suggestions or tips to help make sure this smoke is a success, in-laws are coming. Sorry no pictures. I will get some next time.  :)  How does the superscript button work on this thing?  ???

Bullitt08     
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.

Gizmo

Sounds like you are on the right track.  I did think you were going to go less time for more pink.   :D

Tips:  leave plenty of room in the stomach for lots of turkey. 

If the bird is fresh and not pumped, brining is a great addition for moist tasty bird.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

I personally like to stuff a sage butter under the breast...

Habanero Smoker

I just finished smoking a 12 pound 10 ounce turkey. I was going to post my results, but I had no choice but to smoke it on the coldest day of the year; so the results would not be considered an "average" smoking/cooking session. The ambient temperature ranged from 14°F, to 20°F, and dropped back down to 14°F by the time it was done. Even with those temperatures, it took a total time of 9 hours, and the temperature stayed steady at 200°F, though my target temperature was 225°F. Of course if you get your smoker up to 225°F that will shorten your cooking time. Also if you want a crisper skin you can finish the turkey in an oven. I use to finish in an over of 400°F, but now when the turkey gets to 145°F, I place it in a 350°F to finish.

I just use a simple brine

Brine
1 gal. water
3/4 C. pickling salt (or about 1 cup of kosher salt)
3/4 C. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. pickling spice

Rub
2 part Kosher salt
1 part Bell's poultry seasoning
1 part Old Bay seasoning.
    (if you use tablespoons as a measurement that will be enough for two 12 pound birds)

Place pickling spice, salt, and brown sugar in 1 quart of water bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, or longer until sugar and salt is disolved. Add  the other 3 quarts of water, and chill to 38°F - 40°F, prior to placing your bird in the brine. If you have a scale you can use ice to accelerate the cooling of the brine; 1 measured ounce of water equals 1 ounce of water weighed, therefore 1 quart of water equals 32 ounces of ice weighed. Or if you have a large container mark the location that a gallon of water comes to, then you can use that container to measure - place the quart of hot brine mix in the container, then add ice until the water level reaches the mark. With this brine you only need to brine 8 hours.

Place bird in brine and refrigerate. After brining, give the bird a quick rinse, pat dry, and if you have the time air dry it uncovered in the refrigerator over night, or until the skin feels tacky to the touch. Rub with olive oil, give it a very ligth dusting of corn starch - don't over do it (optional), and apply rub.

Preheat your smoker to 250°F, place your bird in the smoker, centering it as much as possible, insert the probe into the thickest part of the thigh, open the vent from 3/4 to fully open, and smoke/cook at 225°F.

I apply 2:40 hours of apple or maple smoke, and rotate the bird front to back about twice during the smoking/cooking time. I rotate the first time when the bird get to around 130°F, and will rotate one more time when the bird get to around 150°F. Remove from smoker when it reached 162°F, and lightly tent during rest.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)