Salmon.... Kummok's Salmon!

Started by Mr Walleye, December 13, 2008, 11:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

That looks soooo good. Too bad that salmon has gotten to the price level it has in the past year. I still crave it though.

Buck36

The salmon is looking incredible! What were the final time and temps that you decided to use?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Buck36 on December 13, 2008, 07:42:19 PM
The salmon is looking incredible! What were the final time and temps that you decided to use?

Thanks Buck. The taste is fantastic as well. It's really a must do.  ;)

Here's what I did...

(3 hours of Alder)
2 hours at 110
3 hours at 140
1 hour at 175

I had already gone a little longer then what Kummok suggested because I didn't see his last comment till then. Having said that I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. This is the first batch of salmon I've done and now that I have it under my belt I feel real confident in getting it dialled in perfectly in the future. Not that this batch isn't excellent, just thinking ahead. I think one of the biggest things that can change your timing is the size of the pieces.

I can't wait to do this again... Man is it good!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

tsquared

WTG  Mr W --I did a batch of nuts and cheese this weekend but I'm going to do a batch of salmon before xmas and your pics are certainly an inspiration--I was going to try to get out and catch some salmon to smoke today but it's blowing a gale and snowing today so I decided to stoke the fire and fire up the bradley intead.
T2

Mr Walleye

T2

Man... I envy you guys catching them fresh and smoking them... I'm sure they would be absolutely killer! Let alone the catching part.  ;)

I have no idea why it took me so long to try Kummok's recipe. It will definitely be a regular now though!

Mike

nickld

That looks fantastic Mike!

I put about six pounds of sockeye in to brine tonight. Got my Auber OBS programmable PID also so it will be first time with that.  Haven't done salmon in about 18 months. Hope it turns out as good as the last time.

I'm visiting with family in eastern WA/northern ID area for Christmas. Any suggestions on the best way to pack my finished, frozen salmon along?

Tx

~Nick

Mr Walleye

I vac pac mine then freeze it. I wonder if you could keep it frozen in a cooler during the trip. How long is the trip?

Mike

Mr Walleye

I meant to add that I used the High Temp Screens on my racks from Bryan at Yard & Pool for this project. They worked outstanding! I did the salmon with no skin on and had absolutely not sticking whatsoever. I did give them a quick shot of Pam as well.

I gotta say I use these screens for everything and they work fantastic.

Mike

westexasmoker

I with ya Mike the screens are one of the best things I've added, and use them with everything!  Makes clean up alot easier too!  Salmon about to go in!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

pensrock

Looks great Mike, now your probably wondering...... why did I wait so long to try this?  ;D

nickld

Quote from: Mr Walleye on December 14, 2008, 01:45:00 AM
I vac pac mine then freeze it. I wonder if you could keep it frozen in a cooler during the trip. How long is the trip?

Mike

Pretty much what I thought I might try. I'll be flying Southwest airlines. About a 5 to 6 hour trip in all. I don't really see a problem with that as long as the airline will let me bring a cooler of smoked salmon on board... I might get mugged and molested... and have all my fish eaten...

Just put it in the smoker about 15 minutes ago, with the new Auber programmable PID. How convenient! It comes pre-programmed for Kummok's Salmon!

Smokin Soon

No Nick, you will never make with that plan of yours. I'm only 25 minutes away from you, and will guard the salmon for you while you are away. Ok???.......Pleeese!.....

nickld

Quote from: Smokin Soon on December 14, 2008, 02:00:22 PM
No Nick, you will never make with that plan of yours. I'm only 25 minutes away from you, and will guard the salmon for you while you are away. Ok???.......Pleeese!.....

Well.... I've got a pretty big family and they might be disappointed...  ;).  This batch should come out of the smoker in about 45 minutes. I've pulled the rest of the sockeye out of my deep freeze so I'll be starting another batch tomorrow night. Maybe I'll leave some in the mailbox when I go out of town....   ;D

Just got about 7.5lbs of beef into the Reveo. Have to clean trays etc... but I'll turn it into some awesome beef jerky tomorrow.   :P

Mr Walleye

Quote from: pensrock on December 14, 2008, 11:59:17 AM
Looks great Mike, now your probably wondering...... why did I wait so long to try this?  ;D

Boy... ya can say that again Pens!  ;)

Just a slow learner I guess!  ::)

Oh well! It's in the rotation now!  ;)

Mike

nickld

Trying to figure out photobucket here. Would use my own webserver but I don't keep it up and running all the time...

Not as pretty as some batches but pretty good for salmon that's been in the freezer for a year. A little garlicky and salty because I accidentally used garlic salt instead of onion powder in the brine. (Got to read the label I guess). I made sure to rinse the fish well after brine and was able to turn out something rather tasty!  Also had to deal with a sudden rain storm. Just made a little tent out of aluminum foil to keep the rain from entering the draft...

Cheers....

~Nick