New Bradley Smoker user - Need help

Started by AggieBQ72, December 13, 2008, 04:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Thanks SS.  I do have the book and really like it.  I cut the venison with about 15-20 percent pork fat so I'm not worried about it being too lean but I'll have to go get some sausage.  Definitely seems worth the trip and expense of buying the sausage.

Thanks again,

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

For uncured ground meat, it's safer to use a minimum temperature of 225°F. It's important to get the center of the meat up to 140°F as soon as possible, then continue to cook until an internal temperature of 160°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

AggieBQ72

Quote from: Caneyscud on December 14, 2008, 08:21:24 PM
Aggie, welcome.  A newby myself.  Just got mine a week ago, but have not even been able to open the box yet and now my wife decides she wants to pay for it and give it to me for a Christmas Gift.  Now I won't be able to use it for what another week and a half. - This is killing me. 

Hopefully the Aggie means you went to the best university in the world.  Class of '78 here!

Yes, I am an Aggie....Class of '72.....and you should know what the BQ stands for!  My granddad was a BQ, Class of '21 and I have two sons that were also BQ, Class of '02 and '04!

Caneyscud

Recall, Step off on Hullabaloo!
The Noble Men of Kyle?  (I guess you can't make that reference anymore)
The FTAB!

Dorm 11 eh?  So you survived the countermarching, the criss-cross and the minsteral turns?     
From a red-a$$ non-reg (got my scars from Cut and Stack and from a light pole on a cold night in downtown Old Dime Box after being "invited" on a 'road trip') you do know BQ may not mean quite the same thing to you as it may to me?  ;D  Something about soft, comfortable shoes. 

Lived in Law - somewhere between MSC and The Dixie Chicken and between Hotard and West Campus (well it wasn't there at the time) and not too far from Sully or Sbisa!  Got a BS in BC or was it a BC in BS?

Ain't whipped out in quite a long time (I should push more - my waist line needs it) - I've been 30 years from my beloved state.  I still bleed maroon though. 

My Great Uncle graduated in the 30's, my dad went in the early 50's, I graduated in 78 and my sister in 81.

Good Bull rules - squeeze 'em.

Aggie Laundry Marks -  yellow in back and brown in front - wait, that's wrong, brown in front and yellow in back --- errr ---- yellow in front, brown in back!  Gotta remember that - that is important stuff!

Whoop!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

AggieBQ72

Just received shipping notice and my DBS will arrive this Friday!  Going tomorrow to buy pork to start with.  If I do the pork butt and it takes 15+ hours as someone suggested will I have to be checking the water in the pan?  How often should I open the door to check on it?

AggieBQ72

Quote from: Caneyscud on December 16, 2008, 02:42:20 PM
Recall, Step off on Hullabaloo!
The Noble Men of Kyle?  (I guess you can't make that reference anymore)
The FTAB!

Dorm 11 eh?  So you survived the countermarching, the criss-cross and the minsteral turns?     
From a red-a$$ non-reg (got my scars from Cut and Stack and from a light pole on a cold night in downtown Old Dime Box after being "invited" on a 'road trip') you do know BQ may not mean quite the same thing to you as it may to me?  ;D  Something about soft, comfortable shoes. 

Lived in Law - somewhere between MSC and The Dixie Chicken and between Hotard and West Campus (well it wasn't there at the time) and not too far from Sully or Sbisa!  Got a BS in BC or was it a BC in BS?

Yes I was a dorm 11 guy.  However, both of my sons were in Dorm 9 most of their TAMU career.....just not the same as old army!

bonfire brings back old memories!  My oldest son called me at 2am one morning and said "Dad, I'm ok...but the bonfire just fell!"  He was suppose to be out with his B-Batt outfit on the stack site bringing in logs that evening and into the early morning.  However, the Band had a bad practice and the CO said everyone was off bonfire that night as the next day they had to get the drill worked out!  So my son missed by just hours or minutes being there when it fell!  This is the same son that called me at 2am the year before .... again at 2am and said, Dad, I'm ok....but Dorm 11 just burned!  He was on the third floor of Dorm 11, when a fire broke out in the room across the hall from his hole (room).  Everyone was evacuated from the dorm after crawling down the floors and down the stairs.  When I saw the room the next weekend that caught on fire I was amazed that there were not fatalities.  Yes there are a lot of memories at TAMU!....some good and some not so good.

I can't belive I am going to get to use my DBS before you do!

Lee

Ain't whipped out in quite a long time (I should push more - my waist line needs it) - I've been 30 years from my beloved state.  I still bleed maroon though. 

My Great Uncle graduated in the 30's, my dad went in the early 50's, I graduated in 78 and my sister in 81.

Good Bull rules - squeeze 'em.

Aggie Laundry Marks -  yellow in back and brown in front - wait, that's wrong, brown in front and yellow in back --- errr ---- yellow in front, brown in back!  Gotta remember that - that is important stuff!

Whoop!

Smoking Duck

I change the water after the 4 hour mark...by that time, you should have gone through most, if not all of your bisquettes.  After that, no need to change the water.  The only reason to change the water is because of all the bisquettes that will extinguish in there.  Hope all turns out well for you.  Let us know how it goes!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caneyscud

Quote from: AggieBQ72 on December 16, 2008, 05:25:28 PM
Quote from: Caneyscud on December 16, 2008, 02:42:20 PM

Yes I was a dorm 11 guy.  However, both of my sons were in Dorm 9 most of their TAMU career.....just not the same as old army!

bonfire brings back old memories!  My oldest son called me at 2am one morning and said "Dad, I'm ok...but the bonfire just fell!"  He was suppose to be out with his B-Batt outfit on the stack site bringing in logs that evening and into the early morning.  However, the Band had a bad practice and the CO said everyone was off bonfire that night as the next day they had to get the drill worked out!  So my son missed by just hours or minutes being there when it fell!  This is the same son that called me at 2am the year before .... again at 2am and said, Dad, I'm ok....but Dorm 11 just burned!  He was on the third floor of Dorm 11, when a fire broke out in the room across the hall from his hole (room).  Everyone was evacuated from the dorm after crawling down the floors and down the stairs.  When I saw the room the next weekend that caught on fire I was amazed that there were not fatalities.  Yes there are a lot of memories at TAMU!....some good and some not so good.

I can't belive I am going to get to use my DBS before you do!

Lee

I did not realize dorm 11 had burned.  I haven't been on campus since the day after graduation.  I started work in Dallas the day after that, and two months later is was told to be in Nashville.  Been to a couple of games since, but they have been at the Alamodome though.  They tore my dorm (Law) down a few years ago - it was getting quite old and the center row of footings weren't in the best of shape because of the highly expansive clays in the area.  Yep, Bonfire brings back some great memories.  I've still got the pot I used to wear somewhere and I still have a couple of broken and decorated axe handles somewhere.  That is amazing about your son.  He's one lucky dude - something is working in his favor or should I say someone!  I still think it is quite neat that you have 3 generations BQ.  That's pretty cool.  Good memories - many,  bad memories - some.  Seems that I couldn't ever get any of them pretty college girls to date me.  All my girlfriends were from back home in Seguin or McQueeney.  Didn't get to share a blanket at the Grove nor many rewards after a score.    Guess I was just too big and ugly - still am but at least my white hair lends an air of distinction now. 
Mike - far from being a two-percenter. 

p.s.  I think my DBS is laughing at me.  It just sits there in my Envoy looking sad, but I do what the boss says and she says I'm getting it for Christmas.  I may have an out though - she hasn't forked over the money yet - so technically it's still mine.  Yet, although I ain't a 2%'er I am also risk adverse - that technicality would have me flirting with disaster.  So, lay on the smoke thick and post the outcome of the first smoke.  I will live vicariously through your post.

AggieBQ72

CaneyScud

I forgot the best part!  My '02 son married a '02 girl and they have two sons (WHOOP!). And if that wasn't good enough, my '04 son married a '04 girl!  A man could not be more blessed!

The Dorm 11 fire was actually a fish prank that went BAD!  The room that burned had two fish and one was not carrying his weight as a fish.  Others in the fish class opened a can of shoe polish, lit it and slid under the door.....except that the can went under the bed and caught stuff under the bed on fire!

bullsi1911

I'd suggest doing a pork loin for your first smoke after seasoning.  It tastes good, is quick and easy.  Just a couple of hours, and it will knock the socks off.

BTW...

Hook 'em.

Caneyscud

Quote from: AggieBQ72 on December 17, 2008, 08:21:32 AM
CaneyScud

I forgot the best part!  My '02 son married a '02 girl and they have two sons (WHOOP!). And if that wasn't good enough, my '04 son married a '04 girl!  A man could not be more blessed!

The Dorm 11 fire was actually a fish prank that went BAD!  The room that burned had two fish and one was not carrying his weight as a fish.  Others in the fish class opened a can of shoe polish, lit it and slid under the door.....except that the can went under the bed and caught stuff under the bed on fire!
We almost got into something like that also.  Something about a snuff can, peanut butter, and firecrackers - and we did not know his room had already been papered when it slipped under the door.  The KK's weren't too amused!

Bet there is more than one maroon t-shirt around and possibly a maroon pick-up!  Wasn't lucky enough for an Aggie wife (lucked up on a good'n anyways)- Tennessee Tech and Vanderbilt with Masters from both - Daughter not married yes - undergraduate from East Tennessee State, and graduate degrees from Vanderbilt.  Seems I have paid for more degrees than grandchild gifts. But truly blessed on many accounts - sure like grace better than justice!