salmon

Started by cologcab, January 04, 2005, 06:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cologcab

Have a question the smoked salmon you buy in a grocery store that is smoked kind of wet ,what is that called ?My kids love that stuff and i would like to try that ty

nsxbill

This thread on the list will give you lots of ideas.  I have tried with and without the brine...I like the brined salmon best.  Make sure you dry out after in the refrigerator overnight uncovered to form a pellicle.  Don't rush your product.  You will find out what techinique you like best.  I frankly don't care much for salmon generally, but both attempts were delicious and I was proud to share with friends.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=120&SearchTerms=salmon

Good luck  and remember....low and slow!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

cologcab

Thanks again and i will let you know how i made out

cologcab

Got dumb question on the pickling salt in brine recipe did you mean pickling spice?

Habanero Smoker

It is not a dumb question. Pickling salt is a very fine ground salt that has no additives, it looks like table salt. I believe the Diamond Crystal brand comes in a round plastic jar (or that may be Morton's, I should go to my pantry to check). It is a much denser then kosher salt and is equal to approximately 1 1/2 cups of Morton's Kosher salt, and about 2 cups of Diamond Crystal Kosher salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cologcab

well ive got my first bunch soaking .....yehaw