which wood for brisket?

Started by tsquared, December 30, 2004, 05:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

I'm about to do my first brisket this evening (as soon as my salmon finishes.[:)])and I'm wondering which wood people prefer.
Tom

BigSmoker

T2,
I like pecan or hickory in that order[:)].

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

just like bigsmoker said or mix it up a bit, oak and apple 2to1 mixed, or pecan and apple,

nsxbill

The last brisket I did was quite good.  Although some shy away from Mesquite, my last was done with 4 hrs of it.  After 4 hours, I rotated racks, changed the water, then went for a finish temp of 185.  I was smoking at 210° and temp only varied about 2° throughout the cook, other then when I had to open the door to rotate and change the water.

Cooking time for the 3 flats at about 4 lbs ea. was about 14hrs.  2 hrs in the cooler afterwards, and it was delicious....  Some call it the "Devil Wood."  I like the flavor, and recommend that you try it once before excluding from your repertoire of available bisquettes.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

tsquared

Thanks guys. I'm going to try 2 to 1 pecan and mesquite for 4 hours of smoke on my 13 lb brisket, then maintain 210 f for the rest of the time. I'm figuring 15 hours? Then towel and cooler until the New Year's Pary. Yeeha!
Tom

JJC

Not to confuse the issues, but I;ve done brisket with a 50/50 mix of hickory and apple, and it was terrific . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

BigSmoker

T2,
Thats a pretty hefty brisket.  It may take as long as 18+ hours.  Start early.  You can always FTC for 6 or more hours.

Jeff
www.bbqshopping.com
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

tsquared

Thanks Bigsmoker I will. Salmon is just coming out of the smoker and I'll put the brisket right in. Shooting for 6 tomorrow night, so I figure if I put it in at around 8:30 pm tonight (PST) that will leave enough room to get the right temp. I'll let you know how it goes...
Tom

Habanero Smoker

I always smoke beef with a 3 hickory to 1 mesquite mix. That's the flavor I prefer on beef. Each time I do a brisket I try to use a different rub. My last brisket I only used salt, pepper and garlic powder. It came out great.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tsquared

I did the 13 lb brisket for almost 18 hours and took it out when the Maverick hit 183. Foil,towel,cooler for 3 1/2 hours and carved it up with my new scimitar sized fish fillet knife (xmas present)at the New Year's shindig. Very happy crowd, second helpings all around. Thanks for the advice, it worked out great. The coldsmoked salmon was a hit too, the  smoker has been getting a workout lately.[8D]
Tom