A few questions as I wait for the BS to arrive.

Started by Brisket Lover, December 14, 2008, 08:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKnowWood

I get from from Food lion CryoVac pack, each about 8 lbs.  Good big fat cap.  And it would be good if the bone is more in the center.  Leaving more equal area not in Bone.  I de-bone each before seasoning.  Helps cook time. 

As for rub, I use the Renowned Mr Brown recipe in "Smoke and Spice"  used it for several years now and always a winner.

Good luck
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Brisket Lover

What do you usually pay for 8 pounder, and is bone in better than buying it without the bone?

I'll look up the recipe.

FLBentRider

Quote from: brisket_lover on December 29, 2008, 11:51:55 AM
Any clues to how to pick  ;D a good butt?

If there is, I don't know it, and I've probably made 50 pork butts in my OBS. I've had a couple turn out tougher than others, and I'm convinced it was the pigs fault. The tougher ones looked just like the great ones. It's a crap shoot, but the odds are in your favor. I've had maybe 2 tough ones, and I always make at least 2, one to eat now, one to vac seal and freeze for later, or take to the office, etc...

That also allows for a "backup butt" in case of a tougher one. Since I started taking them to an IT of 200F, the tough ones are mighty rare, so to speak.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Brisket Lover

The brisket is no more.  Since moving out of Texas I haven't had any place to get a "Baker"  so tonight I made my own and it was even better.  I reheated the brisket in a pot on low with some apple juice and oh what a flavor that added.

Can't wait to do the chicken (10.5 recipe) and pork butt on Wednesday.