Knife

Started by Dex, December 15, 2008, 03:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex

I'm looking for a good knife to cut all my smoked meat with. Any suggestions? I see on the Food Network these guys use awesome knifes that just slice right through the meat. Looks like a hot knife through butter.

Not looking for a set, just the knife only. Any suggestions?

nickld

I use an 8" Wustof Classic chef's knife for the vast majority of my projects. I love it. Was a Christmas present.

~Nick

Savannahsmoker

All good knife's need to be sharpened.  Get a good electric shapener and you will be happy.  I sharpen the knifes once a month.

Buck36

DO you like the Chef's Choice sharpeners? Or is there another you prefer more?

Smokin Soon

If your only looking to buy one knife, then get a Wustof or Henkels, both high end but but worth it.

nickld

Quote from: Buck36 on December 15, 2008, 05:57:44 PM
DO you like the Chef's Choice sharpeners? Or is there another you prefer more?

I have a Chef's Choice Professional Sharpening System, model 130. I think its fantastic! Can't really compare it to other brands as I haven't tried them. Nothing like a good, sharp knife.  One of the most important tools in the kitchen next to your hands...

Savannahsmoker

I do not have a preference but I use the Chef's Choice 320 and no complants.  Use it alot when skinning shark as you have to sharpen about ever 5 or 10 cuts.  I got mine at Bass Pro Shop.

csakis

I am really a knife nut. I particularly love kitchen knives. My favorite is the Global G-2. First I did not like it because it was lighter than the usual Wusthof or Henkel chef's knives. Read this article, it is worth it:
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/article/129/Chefs-Knives-Rated
csaba

Smoking Duck

I know this may be sacriledge, but I often use an electric knife when cutting my smoked foods.  Much easier for me to cut it evenly.  Nothing wrong with a regular knife.  I've lost some feeling and strength in my right arm and hand though, so the electric knife does wonders.  I especially like it with Canadian bacon unless I'm using my meat slicer to slice it up.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tenpoint5

After spending a few years working in a packing house. I just cant give up my stone, slate and ceramic for doing MY knives. Momma isn't allowed to touch them for two reasons. 1 She will take the edge off 2 I don't want her to take a finger off (almost happened just washing one). I really like the Santuko style of knives have several by different makers.

The main thing to remember is a DULL knife WILL cut you faster than a Sharp knife will.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Buck36

That 130 is the one my cousin brings to the hunting cabin. It seems to put a pretty good edge on the knives when we butcher.

I believe the best knife is the one that feels the best. It seems a decent edge can be put on any of them. I have a hunting knife that cost way too much. I use it for dressing and skinning but when we do trim work I prefer a cheapo knife won at a Ducks Unlimited banquet.

I used to cook at a few restaurants and they alway delivered us a sharpened knife each week. There was nothing special about them except they were weighted well and sharp.

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 15, 2008, 07:10:43 PM
The main thing to remember is a DULL knife WILL cut you faster than a Sharp knife will.

Sharp or dull knives do deserve their respect too. The hunting knife I have is supposed to be one that will hold an edge well and is very sharp. Being an idiot I was rushing when we were processing our deer. It seemed like I touched my opposite hand when skinning, it went right to the bone. That scar still makes me shake my head when I see it. I made a dumb mistake because I was being complacent. You can never get too comfortable.

Gizmo

I would emphasis the comment Buck made that the bet knife for you is the one that fits your hands the best and is the most comfortable feeling.  In addition, the brand name alone does not guarantee the knife is a good quality.  Most brands out there have their low end low cost models that are barely worth any thing. 

I have an electric sharpener but tend not to use is.  The biggest problem with them in my opinion is they can easily ruin the tempering of the knife with the friction and heat they generate. 

I have been using the Furi sharpening system.  It is a good system but the reason I bought it was so that my wife can use it.  I use to use some ceramic sticks and they worked great.  The problem was my wife was not comfortable using them and was concerned she would mess up the edge.  The Furi is simple and easy to use and basically impossible to alter the edge.  She uses this which helps keep the edges razor sharp.  I cannot stand to use a knife that isn't sharp enough to shave with (literally).

For me, keeping the edge in top condition is extremely important to keeping knives working properly.  So good fit and proper maintenance with the best quality knife you can afford is the best advice I can give.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Ww use a ceramic knife sharpener from Wustof...no big deal...little worley wheels...works like a charm. Have had it for years. Bout $30 bucks. The Furi sharpener Giz is describing...very kool...and fun to play with!!!  ;D

Smokin Soon

I kind of forgot about the Sani-Safe knives I have on the recomendations I had from some students at the San Francisco Culinary Inst. They liked the Dexter-Russell line of knives. Plain white handle, but very good knives.

http://www.dexter1818.com/sani-safe.asp?group_name=sani-safe.asp

Check other sources for better pricing.

LilSmoker

I have a couple of decent sets of knives in the kitchen, but i also have another set now that nobody is allowed to use as i keep them very sharp, and i don't want them ruined  ;)

They are from a wholesaler and what you would see in a butchers shop, they have the various cheap looking coloured plastic handles, but the blades are excellent. I think Cabelas would probably stock them on your side of the pond?

Every time i use my knives i use a steel on them to maintain the blades edge, and if they start showing signs of blunting i will hone them on an oil stone. If knives are looked after properly, they will last a long time.

I also agree with what's been said, a knife has to feel comfortable and ballanced in your hand.

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes