Knife

Started by Dex, December 15, 2008, 03:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

I concur with the feel of the knife in your hand!  Another thing that I have become very partial to is carbon steel blades they hold an edge like no other, they do take a bit more care but I think well worth the extra effort!  Go on ebay and do a search for vintage henckels or old henckels!
C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Caneyscud

I concur - vintage Henckels and a set of Ouachita stones all the way down to "surgical black".
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Dex

Thanks gusy for all the input. Tons of good info. Now I just need to find the right one.... with the right price!

drano

I got a Chefs Choice model 120 a couple years ago, and really like it.  I can put an edge on a knive in no time.  My wife hates it because they are too sharp!
Yea, they may take more steel off the blade per sharpening than good stone, but I've never learned that art, so I went electric. 

bflosmoke

Does anyone use those serated knives ? it seems to me that if I wanted teeth I would use a saw.
BFLO

dcpendarvis

Has anyone used the ceramic knives from Kyocera?

Gizmo

Only as a test or comparison.  Ceramics are very sharp and great to use.  The only 2 drawbacks that I have heard about.
1.  Ceramic is brittle and can be broken.  Don't drop them or leave them loose in a drawer where they can bang into other objects that can break them.  Don't use them to cut hard or frozen foods and as with any knife, they are not for prying apart food, bones, etc.

2.  If and when they become dull, they cannot be sharpened by standard sharpening stones/methods.  They need to be professionally done.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

BigFella

You guys are going to laugh at me, but some of the best knives that I've ever owned were the Miracle Blade III series.  We use the steak knives religiously.  The only other knives that I really use from the set are the slicer (GREAT long serrated knife), and the filet knife.  The slicer is great for anything that "folds" under pressure.  Brisket, tomatoes, bread...

Otherwise I have a set of Rachel Ray knives (Chef, serrated, paring).  And the Furi sharpener is PERFECT.

redsol1

I've got a few Shun origional knives and I've never been happier. I've got the 8" chefs, 6" utility, and 3" pairing. Best knives I've ever used.

La'

Redsol1

West Coast Kansan

If it fits your hand and feels comfortable then you can consider it.  If it does not fit - we missed a lot of good comments above.  The fit and comfort means control AND safety.

The second element is keeping it sharp.  I like Gizmos sharpener as well and agree it is great in terms of protecting his knifes.  Today you can put a real keen edge on most anything but it does not stay.  I do think you can pick the knife style you like the best and then do a little comparison shopping.  I suppose you can get hosed over on money spent, but I think for the most part you get the quality you pay for...

I dont have any real high end stuff - but I do keep my varied choices sharp and for our purposes and uses I am happy.

Does anyone know of knives they would advise NOT purchasing? Perhaps that would be a good question to ask..

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

redsol1

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on March 15, 2009, 01:51:52 AM
Does anyone know of knives they would advise NOT purchasing? Perhaps that would be a good question to ask..

Yea, don't buy Tuppware knives. We got a set as a gift. They loose an edge and it's impossible to get on back and keep it.

La'

Redsol1

drewpatton

I also use Shun Classic. I have been using them for about 3 years and couldn't be happier!

RAF128

In the kitchen I use a Henkel chefs knife mostly.   Also have a Henkel paring knife.    For boning deer I use a Henkel boning knife.   For cutting meat for making sausage I use a butcher knife.   Sorry can't tell you the make but bought it at a butcher supply store.   It's got an 18" blade.    For sharpening I use a lansky kit and an essential tool when using a knife is a good steel.   

Paddlinpaul

I too have a full set of Henkels. They keep their edge really well. I worked in kitchens with classically trained chefs (Four Seasons Hotel among them) and that is all they used. If purchasing, make sure the logo on them have two little men and not one. The logo with 2 men are the professional series are are a lot better quality knife.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!