Why does my OBS keeps breaking down?

Started by Ed1978, December 15, 2008, 07:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed1978

This is just a rant posting so skip it if you don't want to read my pain  :)

Am I the only one that keeps getting one problem after another with their OBS smoke generator?

I bought it 6 months ago. Smoke generator came defective (probably got banged up during delivery) so I immediately sent it back to Amazon.com for replacement. The replacement from Amazon worked great for about 3 months and then the smoke generator stopped advancing the bisquette even when I manually pressed the advance button (bisquette always get stuck halfway probably due to faulty motor).  Bradley sent a replacement smoke generator since the warranty still active. The replacement from Bradley had some issue advancing the bisquette automatically every 20 minutes so I calibrated it based on the advice from this forum (unplugged power while feeder pushing the bisquette method). It fixed it for a few cycles but then it stopped advancing the bisquette automatically every 20 minutes. I had to keep calibrating after few cycles to fix it, which means I have to keep checking it every 20 minutes. I've finally had it. I called Bradley again today and they're sending me another replacement smoke generator. I can only hope that the replacement unit didn't arrive DOA and will actually last more than 2 months.

I get the feeling that the customer service lady thought I cheated them because she said the they have sent me a replacement smoke generator couple months ago  :-[ I think they might void my warranty after this  :) But what can I do, the thing keeps breaking on me  >:(

Sorry for the rant, I guess I'm just pissed >:(  I mean 6 months and I already had to request replacement smoke generator twice from Bradley.  What if my warranty expires and that thing breaks down again  >:( Am I just unlucky? or is there widespread problem with Bradley's durabilty?

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Ed

If you would like to call me tomorrow i will be happy to discuss your generator problem's with you
Just call 1-800-665-4188 and ask to be transfered to Brian in the service dept.

Just for your info they will not void your warranty.

Thanks
Brian
Bradley Smokers

westexasmoker

Bradley heaven....Gots to be the customer service period!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Gizmo

Ed,
Sorry to hear about your problems but it is good to see Bradley continuing their awesome customer support.

Brian,
The users of this forum, and I hope I can speek for them, are certainly glad to see you (and the company) taking great care of the customers or as we like to refer to them, our extended family members.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Ed1978

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) PR on December 15, 2008, 08:32:54 PM
Hi Ed

If you would like to call me tomorrow i will be happy to discuss your generator problem's with you
Just call 1-800-665-4188 and ask to be transfered to Brian in the service dept.

Just for your info they will not void your warranty.

Thanks
Brian
Bradley Smokers

To Bradley's credit, I have to admit that their customer service is awesome. I'm surprised to see someone from Bradley read and replied my post :)

Brian, thanks for your reply. Bradley is sending me another smoke generator. But I may still call you to see if maybe there's still anything else that I can do to fix the smoke generator that I currently have. Like I've said, the method of pulling power plug while the motor moves only fix it for a few cycles before the auto advance quit again.

Habanero Smoker

With that many problems, I would also check the electrical circuit that is supplying power to your generator. I've found that the generators seems very susceptible to fluctuations in current. Especially if the fluctuation occurs while the generator is cycling.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

Such problems are really frustrating and annoying!

I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago, within the first few months I had two generators exhibiting similar problems to yours and the good news is that the third one they sent worked fine and has continued to do so for 3+ years now.

Problems with the generator seem to manifest themselves quite quickly in many instances and therefore can be put right under warranty, once you get a good one they seem to stand the test of time.

Bradley service backup is second to none on both sides of the pond and I am sure they will see you right.

Manxman

Mr Walleye

Ed

Give Brian a call and discuss the problem with him. I've dealt with him in the past, he's a great guy and "will" resolve the problem. As the rest of the members indicated, Bradley's customer service is second to none and they will certainly want the opportunity to make it right.

Brian

I know I've spoke with you in past about this forum and it's importance to all the wonderful Bradley owners. It truly is a priceless resource for all the members, actually everyone on the net. I just wanted to comment that its really is great to see you around the forum.

Great job!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

I second what Mike says!  I think it's a great resource to actually have a Bradley rep monitoring these boards. 

I have to say that I feel really fortunate that with both of my Bradleys, I've never had a problem but it sure is nice to know that if something does happen, their customer service reputation is extremely reassuring.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Ed1978

I finally got a new smoke generator from Bradley after over a week of delay from UPS due to all the snow in my area. I've tested it for about 1.5 hours and so far so good. The bisquette advances automatically every 20-22 minutes with no problem :)

Brian, thanks for your advice. It was nice talking to you on the phone. I hope this time the smoke generator will last for a while :)

I'm just glad that Bradley's customer service is top notch. Not only they replaced my smoke generator once, they've replaced it twice now :)