Sheekin Roll Ups

Started by Tenpoint5, December 16, 2008, 05:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

I pounded some out last night and it's in marinade now. What temp did you smoke?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smokin Soon on December 20, 2008, 12:25:25 PM
I pounded some out last night and it's in marinade now. What temp did you smoke?

I just cold smoked mine cause they was going on the grill so 90* would be my guess. But if i was to finish them in the Bradley I would probably shoot for 225* so the bacon crisped up some.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokin Soon

Really gotta thank 10.5 for this, it's SUPER YUMMY!. Having some friends over and needed some snacks. Decided on this for a try, and some monster fattys of course! Ground up some leftover Canadian Bacon and some belly bacon and made a mush with cream cheese, adding lots of chives, roasted onion, horsey powder, Tabasco, garlic powder and some cajun seasoning.

Here's a pounded breasticle after an overnight bath in some Yoshida sauce with garlic. [I really like that word "breasticle', don't know why]

All wrapped and ready

Gave it a full 2 and a half hours of Maple at 200, IT was 155 then into the Big Easy for a finish.

Came out better than I ever expected

And 3 monster fattys!

Tenpoint5

SS I would give you a point for that. Those fatties look awesome. I dont know why but I really like the step by step pics.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Looks great SS !!

Thanks for the pics
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Soon

I forgot to mention that the Tabasco I used completely vanished. I will use another source of heat next time and see.

Smoking Duck

Make your own habanero powder....that heat will stay for 3 days  :o

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smokin Soon

Duck, after your quest of hab powder, I think I will just buy some. Getting 1.5 oz out of that load you did is like harvesting a field of corn and getting 3 ears of corn. I still might try if I get a dehydrator. I did enjoy the story though!   ;D

Smoking Duck

SS,
True point on the crop yield.  However, I had $5 in the peppers.  I figure the price per ounce to be quite reasonable especially without the shipping.  However, if I were to put my man-hours into the equation, not so good except that I'm currently earning $0 per hour so, go figure  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611

SS,

I like the way those came out of the Big Easy.  Ours were good but I guess I should have had the kid shovel out the Big Easy too!

Deb

Smokin Soon

Deb, the Big Easy did a fantastic job of a finish cook and crisping. There is still something I want to do to jazz this up a little bit more. So many flavors vanished in the cook/smoke process that I have to tweak the marinade or the mush or both. More to come........

Dex

I have a quick question. I am going to my familys on Saturday for Christmas and I am thinking about making up a few of these and slicing them up for some appitizers. So here are my questions...

Its about a 2 hour drive up to my family. I want to cook them the entire time in the Bradley, so can I FTC them for the road trip and still have good results? I would keep them rolled and wrapped until I got there, and then slice so I keep the juices in.

Second, I plan on leaving around 10AM, what time should I fire them up? As far as wood goes, I have Apple, Maple, and Hickory. Which would go best with this dish?

Thanks for the help! Looks like I will be up early with my Bradley tomorrow!

Dex

css161

Those look so good!!  Have to stop coming to this site before I eat.   ;D

Smokin Soon

I had some sliced leftover in the fridge and was eating it cold. So I imagine you could transport any way you want. If you do the whole job in the Bradley you could also give them a quick blast under the broiler to crisp up the bacon a bit.

Dex

Good idea, I think when I get there I will toss them in the broiler before I serve them. Im looking at cooking at 225... think it will take around 3 hours to get done?

I cant decide between apple or maple?