Brats

Started by sherlock, December 17, 2008, 06:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

Just received my High Mountain Brat kit.

Going to grind and mix tonight and smoke tomorrow. I know some of you prefer your own blends of spices but I thought I would try this. I have used their jerky mixes and love them. I will let you know how they turn out. I must get a digital camera.

Merry Christmas
nathan

sherlock

Just realized that I started the first thread on this board. :)

Habanero Smoker

Penzey's make a good brat seasoning, and I use it when I make brats; or at least until I run out of it, then I may try some other recipe. If you smoke your brats you will have to add pink salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

drano

nathan
Brats are great.  I've been making mine for about 5 years.
I use Beer Brat mix from this place:
http://www.friscospices.com/sausageseasoningmixes.asp

Did your mix come with cure?  If you smoke them, I'm pretty sure you need cure in it to keep bad stuff from growing as it slowly heats up. 

I buy family packs of pork blade steak (butt cut to steaks), so I can debone and cube it up pretty quick.  Brats are a favorite around here. 

get smokin'
drano

sherlock

Thanks Habs & Drano

I will just make mine fresh and freeze this time because I used all my # 1 cure last night in the brine for my fresh ham. Didn't realize I was low.
Nathan

Habanero Smoker

I hate to admit this, but I like fresh sausage better then smoked. I will smoke certain sausages, but the pink salt tends to change the flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Father Tom

I agree Hab.

I have been using the recipe out of Bruce Aidells  "Complete Sausage Book" or the Book "Charcuterie".  Both are excellent and haven't decided which is best.  Only make 5# at a time and i have all the mix items on hand.

Merry Christmas

Tom. ::) ::)