Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

I am going to be purchasing a stuffer.
Plan to do about 25 pound batches.
Considerations are:
1) quality of equipment
2) easy operation
3) cost

What do you guys have that works, if you would get a new one what would you get?

Smoking Duck

Do you have a grinder Mick?  If not, I'd recommend one of Cabelas grinders that come with stuffing tubes.  Kill 2 birds with one stone and they have some pretty good units at pretty good prices.  I also have a $20 off any purchase over $100 that you could use to bring the cost down more.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

sherlock

Mr Walleye

Hi Mick

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.  ::)

I have a Cabelas commercial grinder and it works very well as a grinder. I have stuffed with it but if you do very much it won't be long before you own a stuffer. I think this applies to all grinders, not anything against this one, in fact this grinder is awesome. I have a 11 lb Cabelas Stuffer and it works very well. I will typically do 40 lb batches. I also bought the optional electric motor with foot control because I fairly often make sausage by myself. The motor I bought directly from Weston Supply who makes them for Cabelas. It was a reconditioned one, full warranty, for (if I remember correctly) $140. They don't advertise them on their site but if you call them they will usually have them.

Here is the stuffer link
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0025147&navCount=1&parentId=cat20099&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat602009-cat20099_TGP&parentType=index&indexId=cat20099&rid=

Here is Weston Supply link
http://www.westonsupply.com/Default.aspx

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Dang, you and Nepas have all the toys! ;D

I sure would like a foot pedal......no one in the house helps with anything I make and can see where a foot pedal would be really handy.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mick

I decided I do want a stuffer.
I've heard good comments on the Northern tool unit for the cost.
Down side is the 5# capacity.
I've heard mixed reviews on the Cabela unit.
I appreciate the replies.
I want to consider as many options as I can.

Piker

I use the 5lbs.unit and do as mudh as 25lbs in a morning stuff with no problems.Altho I did break the plastic gears trying to get all the meat I soon learned not to put much pressure near the end. I know 5lbs. is not much but its easy to take apart and clean. I havr probably have put 1500 lbs. thru mine. thkd Dave

Smoked

Mick- I bought a 5 lb vertical stuffer from LEM Products--they have a great website and also sell their stuff at Sportsmen's Warehouse and other stores.  Main difference between this and others is that the gears are METAL- not plastic.  I use it mostly for beef sticks (I bought a 3/8" stuff tube and use 19mm collagen casings for the Sticks-- it takes a bit of force to push the meat thru the small diameter stuffing tube, but it's held up very well-- I think it cost me around $125--

Good luck!

Ed

drano

I also have the Cabelas 11 lb version.  Got it about 4 years ago.  Mine has teeth on the shaft all the way to the tip.  Newer ones have the teeth machined off for some reason--maybe to prevent us from jambing the plunger into the bottom and breaking the gears/teeth. 
I wish I had the larger model.  I generally do 15 lb batches of brats or summer sausage.  Would be nice to load it with the whole batch and stuff.  But they do get pricey fast above the small model. 
Sausagemaker sells some good ones too.  Not sure if they are any better than the Northern Tool or LEM. 
The flat bottomed meat containers on the LEM, Northern Tool, Sausagemaker are nice because they will stand up by themselves on the counter as you refill them. 
The Cabelas has the spout coming out the bottom at an angle, so it will not standup by itself. 
Look at the websites, go to stores that have them in stock--Northern Tool, Bass Pro for LEM, etc.  And surf/search Google.  Then buy the biggest one you can afford, because you will wish it held a bigger batch.

sherlock

I made 30 #'s fresh sausage for gifts yesterday. 15 # breakfast sausage with sage and 15 #'s italian. Stuffed the italian into links and the sage into 1# tubes like you buy in the store. Larger capacity then my 5 pounder sure would be nice. Biggest problem was that my son had borrowed the clamps I use to hold the stuffer to the bench and it was definately a two person job to stuff. ;D

Mick

So far, based on this input I would go with the 5# unit from Northern for econony or the 11: horizontal model from LEM. Keep the options coming, I'll likely purchase after the first of the year.

Smokin Soon

I bought my grinder and 5 lb stuffer from Northern Tool and both have served me well. I think that the folks that have stripped out the nylon gears have not figured out where the bottom is, and want to get out that last link. When you feel the resistance on the bottom just stop, scoop out the bottom, fry up a couple pattys, have a brew and see what you have.

flht01

I did a little research and ended up buying a Weston 11# vertical. I've only used it twice (20# batches) but am sure glad I didn't buy one any smaller. A couple of nice features about this model that I've found so far is (1) the seal on the pot doesn't loose any meat past the plunger when pressing and (2) the base is big enough to hold the press upright without clamping when stuffing. That makes it a lot easier to use when working solo.

This model also has the spout coming out of the bottom and will not stand on it's own when it's taken out of the stand to re-fill. Sure would be nice if it did.

I really like this stuffer but would take a hard look at LEM's stuffer if I had to do it over again.

Smokin Soon

I do have to use clamps on my Northern 5 lb, cause I cant get much help here. The wifey sees the grinder and stuffer coming out and escapes! She says she cannot look at the mess, even though I clean it up. I have mastered it for 1 person use just fine with the very attentive help from 2 little doggies!

Father Tom

Yes SS.  I have a 5# from Sausage Maker and have used it for a couuple of years.  When I got it they sent it with plastic Gear installed but with a spare metal gear also.  Have not changed thm as yet.  I have also learned to do it alone takes some effort but works.  Also the bottom of the cylinder is flat so when refilling it just sets outside of frame and no problem.

Tom