Sausage Stuffer

Started by Mick, December 19, 2008, 07:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeitall

Quote from: Mick on December 22, 2008, 06:04:48 PM
So far, based on this input I would go with the 5# unit from Northern for econony or the 11: horizontal model from LEM. Keep the options coming, I'll likely purchase after the first of the year.

I have the 5lb vertical stuffer from Grizzly which is basically the same unit at Northern Tool.  It has plastic gears which I have read do cause problems but I keep care of it and don't crank on it hard when its at the bottom and have never had a problem.  I have probably put 250+ lbs through it with no signs of wear.  It is one of the lowest cost units that I could find when I purchased it.  I can't imagine using a grinder to stuff casings, I would think that would be a pain in the azz trying to handle meat and push it down while keeping a hold on the casing.....I wish I had a 15 or 20 lb stuffer but it only take a minute to refill the 5 lb unit.
Scott

unclebuck

I use a Cabela's 1 hp grinder only to grind the meat.  I have the mixer that attaches to the grinder and a homemade water powered stuffer made of clear lexan.  There are 2 smokers in the backyard, one made from a 16 cu.ft. stainless steel institutional milk cooler(stainless inside & out) for smoking large batches of sausage, hams, and bacon.  I use the Bradley for smoke cooking meals.  I just upgraded to a 6 rack digital from a 4 rack original.  A great combination.  Experimenting with different meat has been a fascinating hobby of mine for 30 years. 
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

Gizmo

Hi Uncle,
How did you make the home made water stuffer?  Sounds like an interesting project.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Gizmo on January 01, 2009, 08:09:59 PM
Hi Uncle,
How did you make the home made water stuffer?  Sounds like an interesting project.

I'm with you Giz. I have a 5lb Grizzley stuffer but this water powered stuffer sounds interesting.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Uncle Buck;
Welcome to the forum.

Built your own water stuffer is amazing.

Besides my Gander Mt. 5 pound stuffer, I have the Dakota 10 pound water stuffer. Did you build yours like that? I love my water stuffer, but only use it if I am making more then 5 pounds of one type of sausage. I often wished I had purchased the 5 pound version.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

unclebuck

I did not make the stuffer.  It was built by the Hutterites at Unity, Sask. from whom I bought it.  The clear lexan tube(6" in dia.) holds 15 lbs of meat, and the best part is you can see any air pockets in the meat mixture while you are filling it, and eliminate them to a large extent.  After having had it for 20 years, I would not be without it.  You have fingertip control on the volume and speed that you are filling the casings.  In fact, a lot of the European cured sausages require mixing & spicing your meat and holding it in a refrigerator for a week, causing the mixture to become quite solid, and with the hydraulic pressure of the water, consistency of the meat does not present a problem.  I will try to post a picture of it.
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

Habanero Smoker

If you have a picture it would be nice to see it. With the Dakota water stuffer (which is also clear). The one draw back is that they recommend that you stuff immediately after grinding. If you refrigerate first (especially if you had added powdered milk or soy protein) it is very difficult for the sausage to be pushed out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Steeleco

I'm new to smoking but I've been making sausage for a little while now.  I got an Enterprise press on E-bay.  No plastic parts and cranks out the meat as fast as I can keep up with the skins.  They're all cast and steel gears and have been around for a very long time.  The worst part about mine was paying for the shipping.  They're HEAVY!!!

Look them up on E-bay, you'll see what I mean.

Father Tom

Those wateer stuffers sound great.  Almost got one a couple of years ago but the center island where i istuff didn't have a water connection and i would have to run a hose some 8' i decided to go with the 5# from Sausagemaker.    I did see one in meat market that was verticle and about 8" in dia.  Water comnnection on bottom.  Foot switch, and casing tube table height.  On went the casing and within seconds they were finished.       Maybe someday....

tom

Habanero Smoker

Tom;

The foot pedal sounds great, but the one for the Dakota stuffer cost just as much as the stuffer. One member, converted his water stuffer so that it was hooked up to an air compressor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.