12 pounds of pork tenderloins for Canadian Bacon

Started by KyNola, December 21, 2008, 11:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Outside air temp around 25 degrees, preheated BDS to 260, in go the tenderloins, temp in the box immediately drops to 110.  Makes it way back up to 165 and never moves above it.  Had to open the door one time very briefly to check a puck advance.  Never got the temp above 160 after that.  After getting the smoke on it, I moved them to the house oven at 225 to finish.  I hate it when the BDS just can't get up to temp in cold weather but man the house smells good right now! :D  The tenderloins threw off so much moisture that it was beginning to collect at the bottom of the door.  I'm sure that probably contributed to the temp not coming up any higher.  All's well that ends well.  12 pounds of canadian bacon!!! ;D

KyNola

FLBentRider

KyNola,
Where were you measuring the temp, above or below the meat ?

I've never smoked at that ambient temp...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

KyNola,

Where did you have the vent set? If it was too far closed it could cause the slow heating and also the moisture building in the bottom.

KyNola

FLBR, Counting from the top down the heat sensor was on the bottom side of the third rack.  Pens, the vent was about 3/4 open.  It appears the tenderloins just had a ton of moisture in them.  Oh well, they're done and vac sealed away.

KyNola

pensrock

Gizmo

Quote from: KyNola on December 21, 2008, 11:42:03 AM
Outside air temp around 25 degrees, preheated BDS to 260, in go the tenderloins, temp in the box immediately drops to 110.  Makes it way back up to 165 and never moves above it.  Had to open the door one time very briefly to check a puck advance.  Never got the temp above 160 after that. 
KyNola

What was the set point on the oven?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

I think you should send some to me for testing.

How far are you from Louisville ? (loo-vill)  ::)

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Giz, the set point was 320, that's the disappointing part.  Empty, the box ran up to 260 but after the load went in, it just could never recover.  Next time will use a brick in the oven.

FLBR,
Driving time, I'm about 3 hours away from Louisville in the far western end of the state.

KyNola

Dex

Wow... such a beautiful story about 12 lbs of bacon, and not a single picture to share.

So sad  :'(

FLBentRider

That's a little far for a side trip on a business trip.

bummer.

How did the bacon turn out ?

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

Quote from: KyNola on December 22, 2008, 06:44:43 AM
Giz, the set point was 320, that's the disappointing part.  KyNola

I can see that.

Bradley did good on the offset smoker.  I seem to remember making a recommendation on this forum a few years back as have others.  Maybe in a couple of years, they will make a thermal fire resistant blanket cover that will slip over the outside, with a hole in the top and the door with velcro straps.  Should only need to be used in the extreme temperature zones.
In the mean time, smoke in the Bradley, heat in the house oven always works.  That is my preference even when it is nice outside.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

FLBR,
The bacon turned out really good even with the heat issue.  4 of the 12 bacon tenderloins are already gone and the reports coming back tell me the 8 tenderloins I haven't cured yet will be going in the cure soon.  I'm not sure exactly how many of the remaining 8 bacon tenderloins will stay in my house.  Had a total of 24 tenderloins, 12 went to canadian bacon, 4 will be marinated and then grilled for Xmas leaving 8 tenderloins for more bacon I think.

Gotta love it when a plan comes together.  Still have 6 pounds of smoked white cheddar, a pound of smoked Tabasco Jack cheese and 3 pounds of spicy smoked almonds waiting to go out the door,  Oh yeah, 4 containers of Jan's Dry Rub going out the door too plus 10 pounds of 10 bean soup mix with a printed recipe to make the soup.

Love to send neat food out the door!  Merry Christmas all.
                             KyNola

Smokin Soon

Right on Kynola! Thats what my Christmas is all about this year, being on the unemployed list. I have gotten more praise from this "smoked food" Christmas than any other year. How many people have never tried a bean concoction with a variey of smoked meats and spices? Sliced Fattys and some smoked cheese? The list goes on. They are now begging for more, and better yet will contribute!!!   ;D

West Coast Sausage Maker

I have had huge temp variations also. Relative humidity and barometric pressure are huge factors in consistent performance.

just food for thought.

Mike
soylent green is people

KyNola

Thanks Mike.  It was really cold and dry out and even after the smoke period was over, the Bradley looked like it was rolling smoke for a pork butt or something.  That's when I realized I was definitely going to have a moisture condensation issue and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it.  Vent was 100% wide open.

Like I said it all ended well.  Thanks for the info.  Will remember that next time.

KyNola