I need help with my 5 1/2 lb.brisket!

Started by dogstyler, January 02, 2005, 01:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogstyler

Mike,

I appreciate the info.  My brisket did plateau at around 150 degrees.  Sounds like I didn't preheat hot enough to begin with -- that would have cut down the time by quite a bit.  I did let the meat set out for about 2 hours before smoking.  I look forward to the next one ..... I will use the milder wood.

I am curious as to why you would start it at such a time that would require you to take it out of the smoker so early in the morning....do you work graveyard or???

bill<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Dog,

I'm probably tool late here but here is my 2.3cents worth.

Just got doing two of the same in my BS.  Put them in at 6:30pm done at 3:15am.  Done a few this way.

I typiclly cook my brisket at 220 with 4hrs of smoke till an internal of not over 185.  Then I pull the meat , double wrap the meat in foil and give it splash of apple juice(first time for the juice). Then wrap in a towl then place in a cooler for a few hours.

The slow rise to cooking temp could be because of the temp of you meat, did you pull it right from the fridge or let it set for an hour or so?  Also this a low a slow smoker not a oven so it may act a little different.  Preheat heat that thing up to 250-275 or so for an hr then put you meat in. don't get stingy.

Also, you might do a search here for "rendering".  The paltaue of the temp is due to rendering.  It could stay that way for hours while the moisture and fat quits doing it's thing.  With out this platauing your meat would be big~~bad and tough.

Let me make another sugestion:  use Apple, Pecan, ro Maple for that Brisket, you will notice a BIG differance there.  To the better.

HTH and WELCOME TOHE FORUM......................

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Team Dogstyler "Pirates From The Jaws"

Chez Bubba

Doggie,

Do you groom canines or is that just too much information?[;)][}:)][:D][:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

MallardWacker

Dog,

I have had some auwful long plateus before.  I needed it done by 6:00am so I can FTC the meat, thats why.  Really it's not hard to get a good brisket from a BS, just watch you temp a little after it stops rendering, it could rise some but even at that just be aware  of the 185 internal.  I gave one of those briskets away that day, they ate it at one sitting.  BigSmoker convinced me to do just the Flat of the brisket and not the whole butcher cut.  If you do one of those it will take 12-14hrs at least.  I know they are dollar less apound but it is worth it.  the point to me is too fatty any way.  Also try the splash of apple juice, it didn't do anything drastic but added a little to the flavor and moisture.  When I pulled it from the foil it was all absorbed.  Have a great day.........

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...