Liquid in tray?

Started by 6rack, December 22, 2008, 09:34:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6rack

Folks, do you have to put liquid in the tray at the bottom of the smoker in all cases?  I have used water and wine. I notice there is very little mention of thisonthis forum. Its either its not done all the time or it is just a given.

Thanks for the feedback.

Steve

Tiny Tim

It's always a good idea to put water in the bowl or a replacement puck catching pan, but if you're doing jerky or something that you want to dry out as it smokes/cooks, you can get by without a liquid in there, just keep a close eye on it so the spent bisquettes don't cause a fire.

KyNola

6rack,
I noticed in your post you said liquid in the tray.  I'm not trying to split hairs but I want to make sure everything is OK.  There should be a metal water bowl sitting on the tray and the liquid goes in the bowl.  Is that what you meant?  Wouldn't want you to have a fire in the smoker because the water bowl was not in there.

99.5% of the time, you want liquid in the bowl.

KyNola

6rack

Thank you KyNola for splitting hairs.....I WAS putting water/wine in tray and not in the bowl. No fires..but that is what makes this forum great...no queston is a stupid / unsafe question!!!

Steve

KyNola

Steve,
That's exactly what I was afraid of.  The water in the bowl is there to catch the drippings from the V-tray and to extinguish the pucks when they are advanced off of the burner plate.

Glad I was able to help you out and avert a potential grease fire in your smoker.

KyNola

6rack

Thank you and Merry Christmas to you and your family from up here in Ontario, Canada!!!  I know I will have a safe one!

STEVE