Maverick Temperature calibration

Started by AggieBQ72, December 22, 2008, 03:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AggieBQ72

With all the problems I had over the weekend on my first smoke, I brough the Maverick inside and put both sensors in a pan of boiling water (water boils at 212 F right?) yet my Maverick was reading 230 F on both sensors.  Is there anyway to calibrate the maverick?  Any suggestions???

I called and talked to Brian in Bradley Customer support and he said their thermometer in the electric digital smoker was not that accurate.  So what temperature do I believe....overreading Maverick or the DBS?

Lee

Smoking Duck

Hmmmmmm, my Maverick read right on.  Just a quick question:  you're not submerging the entire probe are you?  The probe is not waterproof and I'm wondering if perhaps the probe has ever been submersed in water.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

AggieBQ72

Ahhhh, let me go back and check it.  I think the probe was submersed.

FLBentRider

Quote from: AggieBQ72 on December 22, 2008, 04:16:40 PM
Ahhhh, let me go back and check it.  I think the probe was submersed.

If the probe has been submersed, they you will probably need a new one. I ruined one washing it. It is not a great design, they should have waterproofed that connection.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

I'd return the maverick and get a new one.
The temperature accuracy of the built in Bradley is not so much as inaccurate as in tolerance, but the placement of it may not be ideally located to measure the actual temperature that the meat is experiencing.  The built in probe will experience more heat than the food will as it is in the back of the smoker above the heating element.  If you only have one rack of food in the Bradley and the rack is located just above the sensor, the reading will be quite accurate.  

As Smoking Duck pointed out, if your probes are not damaged and you can't get them replaced by warranty, I would adjust their temperature reading to compensate with what you know (would be better to get additional calibration points, at 180, 190, 200, and 210 if you have another thermometer to compare to.  I would also suggest buying new probes to replace the ones you have if you Edam they are bad and can't get them replaced.  Before buying new ones, I would do a google search to see if someone has a schematic on the temperature box to see if it can be adjusted.  Problem with adjusting is getting the range of temperature all adjusted as one setting may not be good over the entire range.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

That is a very high reading. It could be the Maverick, but are you sure the probes were not touching any of the pan itself?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

Quoteare you sure the probes were not touching any of the pan itself?

That is a very good point, there should be at least 2 inches space around the probe from the bottom and sides of the container.  :)
Manxman

AggieBQ72

I went back and redid my boiling water test this morning.  Both probes were kept off the bottom of the pan and were not submersed in the water.  One showed 211 and the other 212 so the Maverick is right on!

Thanks for all your help.

Smoking Duck

Glad to hear it all worked out.  Remember when cleaning the probes not to submerse all the way.  I've had them get submersed on accident and they've worked properly after it.  I think they're okay if it happens in a quick period of time.  But, some have soaked in water and I think the longer period of time is where you get hurt.

I always clean off first with an alcohol wipe and then with a towel and soapy water, I'll clean again and then store.

SD

USDA Prime

Hey Guys, I may need a little calibrating myself, but, although water does boil at 212F, if the source of heat is higher, then it stands to reason that boiling water can be hotter than 212F.
TENDER SUCCULENT & NATURALLY AGED And the meat's not bad either!

Smoking Duck

I've always thought that when the water temp gets ~ 212F, evaporation would start occurring, thus keeping it at that temp, unless you add an agent (i.e. non-iodized salt which raises the boiling point).  Heck, I slept through 3/4 of my chemistry classes anyways so I'm sure someone will come along soon and slap me upside the head. 

SD

USDA Prime

Smoking Duck, You're RIGHT!!!  A little self-education on Google solved the problem for me.  Boiling is boiling and 212F is 212F no matter how rapidly the water boils.  If atmospheric condtions, salts and minerals, feet above and below sea level, etc. are a consideration, degrees may vary somewhat.  If you think education is expensive, compare it to the cost of ignorance!!!!!
TENDER SUCCULENT & NATURALLY AGED And the meat's not bad either!

Smoking Duck

Sweet Fancy Moses!  I had to forward your message to my parents just to show them that the college edumacation was worth it  ;D  Imagine where I'd be if I paid attention  ;) ;D  Well, USDA, you can say you were around for the first time I was right!  There won't be many more like it.  Merry Christmas!

Sd

pensrock