Smoked Venison Sausage

Started by Bassman, January 19, 2004, 11:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman

Hello everyone, Just spent the weekend making 50lbs of venison sausage.smoked for approx. 4hrs.(in 3 different batches) with hickory,and mesquite.came out totally awesome!!![:D][:p]. made it from scratch,bought pork butts,ground them & the venison with my new cabelas grinder(also awesome),added spices then stuffed the meat in hog casings.
It was about 20 degrees outside and had no problem getting the smoker up to temp.I LOVE my Smoker[^]. I will gladly share my recipe for this delicous treat to anyone who is intrested.

Jack
Jack

ARCHERYNUT

I could use some new venison recipes. Received my smoker yesturday and still have about 100# of deer left. Would be a great way to break the Bradley in.

Bassman

Archerynut, I sent you the recipe by e-mail, enjoy!

Jack
Jack

Richard Pearce

<b><font size="3"><font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">I also have a lifetime supply of venison sausage.I'd love to try the recipe&gt;</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue"></font id="size3"></b>[^]
Richard Pearce

Bassman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Pearce</i>
<br /><b><font size="3"><font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">I also have a lifetime supply of venison sausage.I'd love to try the recipe&gt;</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue"></font id="size3"></b>[^]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Let me know how it turns out[:p]

Jack
Jack

Chez Bubba

Bassman,

I too would like the recipe. Is this fresh-made sausage smoked for immediate consumption or smoked for preservation? I've done my share of fresh, never entered the world of preserved, but it does intrigue me.

You should hook up with Regforte, I've talked with him & he is an excellent resource for knowledgeable sausage making techniques.

http://www.chezbubba.com
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

ARCHERYNUT

Bassman

Thanks for the recipe. I will let you know how it turns out as soon as I can. It may be awhile due to weather , but some smoked sausage sure does sound good.

Bassman

Well instead of sending 1000 e-mails I think I'll just post it.
Kirk I also sent it to you with a couple of questions about "bubba pucks".Enjoy & Smoke-On![;)]

SMOKED VENISON SAUSAGE

Ingredients:
20 lbs venison
5 lbs pork (ground pork butt works best)
2 12 lbs of cold water
12 oz. powdered milk
7 oz. of salt
1 oz of karo syrup (dark) or molasses
1 oz Prague powder (or any cure)
1 oz fine black pepper
1oz. garlic
14 oz. marjoram

Mix all ingredients and stuff into hog casings, make (approx.) 1 lb rings .let dry for 30 – 60 minutes. Smoke until internal temp is 152F. Let it cool. Makes 25 lbs.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Bassman

Archerynut you will love this recipe.after it cools you can eat it right away. kind of like a ring bologna if you know what that is. Goes great with cheese & crackers(and a cold one).What kind of bow do you have? I use to be into archery.I still have my original Tom Jennings compound.

Jack

ARCHERYNUT

Right now I am shooting a Bowtech Pro 38 for hunting and 3-D and an old American for indoor 5 spot. Would like to get the new Bowtech Liberty or Justice, very nice , but could buy 2 Bradleys for the price of them.

Bassman

Speaking of smoked venison sausage, This is what I'm talk'n about!!!

Jack

Fuzzybear

Dang those look good Jack!  Mmmmmm....mmmmmm

I had some when I was visiting an uncle in Breckenridge, MN but he actually mixed in some venison/pork/veal and it was some of the tastiest stuff I ever had for 3 days!  I'll have to contact his wife and see if she's got the recipie - he passed away last year...

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

msiler

Man, that's just not fair...lol
That looks so good I can almost taste it [:p](and I am stuck away from my smoker[V])

When in doubt smoke it.

n/a

just catching on to Bradley. had it for a month and been smoking every weekend since. ribs are easy. doing beercan chicken now. just wondering if that venison sausage recipe would work for moose??

Fuzzybear

Jack:  Do you have an excellent summer sausage recipie???

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!