Smoked Venison Sausage

Started by Bassman, January 19, 2004, 11:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassman

Fuzzy,
I do not have a recipe that is tried & true for summer sausage, but here is one I found and saved from this forum somewhere.I never tried this.I copied it here just as I found it.sounds good though, I plan on trying it soon.

Summer Sausage
The recipe I used is actually a spicy snack stick recipe, but it makes great summer sausage.
10lbs meat (I used a chuck roast)
3tsp ground celery
3tsp white pepper
3tsp nutmeg
3tsp curry powder
5Tbs salt
2tsp curing salt
1tsp liquid smoke (optional)
1cup non-fat dry milk (binder)
5Tbs powdered dextrose
1cup ice water

I stuffed mine into 2.5 inch casings the length of the racks.
dried at 100F for an hour
started smoke and went to 130F for an hour
went to 150F for an hour
went to 170F for 5 hours to hit internal temp of 152F.

Turned out great. There was just a bit of fat rendered off the sausage, so next time I will max out the temp at only 160F and let it set for a while longer.

If you don't have all day to do these thick chubs, you can pull them out after a few hours and put them in a 170F hot water bath on the stove until they hit 152F. Should only take 30 minutes or so.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Fuzzybear

Do I have to use that curing salt?  (Nitrites again)

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Bassman

Fuzz Man,
I use 2 different kinds of salt, regular mortons table salt, or kosher salt. Usually Kosher salt I use for brines and rubs and table salt for mixing in sausage. I would not hesitate to mix and match on anything I make. I guess I'm really not concerned with the whole nitrite/nitrate thing. Been smok'n for a long time and never had a problem. But thats just my opinion.[:D]

Jack

Kimberly

<font color="navy"><font size="3">Does anyone have a good dry ring recipe?  I have too much deer meat in the freezer and was looking to make my own dry rings this year.

Thanks![/</font id="size3"></font id="navy">font=Comic Sans MS]

Habanero Smoker

Fuzzybear;

I never smoked sausage or bolony, but I know if you are working with ground meat, you would need to use a cure (nitrites) to prevent the growth of bacteria; if you are not going to cook the meat to a temperature of 165 degrees F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jaeger

Kimberly,
Check out Bassman's recipe on this thread for Venison sausage. It works out well for him and you can always customize it with mustard seed, onion powder etc...
You could also use a premix from High Mountain, Eastman or Cabelas etc. They usually work out well and sometimes the casings you may need are included. You may want to add about 10 % beef or pork (a little on the fat side) to make the deer not as lean. Try a small batch and adjust your recipe accordingly.
Good Luck and let us know how it turns out![:)]

Doug

Bassman

Hello Kimberly,
I am not sure what a dry ring is. But the recipe at the beginning of this thread makes for a wonderful snack. Jaeger is correct, you can add anything you want to it.

Jack

Oldman

<font size="4"><font color="red"><b>Bassman's recipe is added to the recipe section</b></font id="red"></font id="size4">

Here: http://www.susanminor.org/cgi-bin/iB3/ikonboard.cgi?s=37fedd8ba66b7a695d587e2aaa84949b;act=ST;f=24;t=105

Thanks  Bassman for sharing~~!
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!