How to bypass temp slider control for PID ops

Started by drano, December 23, 2008, 09:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drano

I've seen a few posts where guys bypass the temp slider control when they have added a PID. 
Well, my new Auber plug-n-play PID is here, so I figure I might as well bypass the Bradley temp control. 
I opened up the front of the Bradley last night and saw the 2 connectors go onto the card.
Do most people cut the connectors and wire nut the 3 wires together (2 wires go into one terminal--one to the heat element and indicator light)?
Or should I put 2 male spade lugs on a short piece of wire, and plug those into the female ends?
Patching in with a short piece of wire will make the whole process easily reversible.  But will it drain more power thru the connections than wire nutting the wires together? 
I'm looking forward to a batch of summer sausage and beef sticks thru my new ½ hp Cabelas grinder, and my souped up Bradley with the new PID and Fan mod. 
Thanks for the help. 
drano

westexasmoker

Hey drano

I think your right on about your connections, but I am by no means electrically inclined!  I run a pid with my OBS also and just leave the slider set to high.  You should'nt loose any power using the quick connects, I've bypassed my high temp cutout using those!  Somebody will have a better answer than me!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

drano

I used a short piece of wire and put connectors on them to bypass the temp control. 
Fired it up last night to test my new fan and the Auber programmagle PID. 
Wow.  Set PID to 170 deg, and it stayed at 169-170.  I can't wait to smoke a batch of summer sausage Friday!

Why did you bypass the high temp cutout? 

drano

westexasmoker

Quote from: drano on December 24, 2008, 10:09:34 AM
Why did you bypass the high temp cutout? 

drano

Definitely not recommended!  I kept popping them when I first got my smoker before I built my pid, got the pid assemblied about the same time it popped again and just never got around to putting another one in!  Once again not a recommended mod!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

pensrock

I programmed and wired my PID, not an Auber, to stop the heating if it goes over the setting in the PID. I can set this to whatever I choose. I think I set it to 300 or so. You can probably do the same with one of the alarms in an Auber, but I'm not sure about that.