I need help with my 5 1/2 lb.brisket!

Started by dogstyler, January 02, 2005, 01:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogstyler

First time for me to use my new bradley.

I put it in at 8:30 this morning.  The temperature read 200 when I put it in and it immediately dropped to 150, but I let it come up to 190 without turning up the heat.  6 pucks of mesquite later it is at 149 degrees with a polder internal thermometer.  It's now 5:00pm and the temp is 149.  Outside temperature here in Oregon is 38 degrees ..... At this rate will the internal temp ever get to 180?  I emptied the water bowl once at about noon.

thanks for your help!

Team Dogstyler "Pirates From The Jaws"

nsxbill

It <u>will</u> get there.  You just have to be patient.  I always do my brisket at 210°.  Too easy with a BBQ Guru, but takes about 14hrs or more depending on size of brisket.  I go to 185° internal.  The meat will sit at 165° for awhile then start moving again.  0830.....you should have started earlier.  I start mine at 11 p.m. and since I am old and have to get up about 3 a.m. to visit the can, I change out the water pan then.  If doing more than one, I rotate shelves.  Otherwise, don't peek!  It takes a long time to recover.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

welcome to the forum. how big was the brisket? i would up cranked up the temp when you warmed her up, once the meat went in , keep here cranked up untill your smoker temp reads 210, then start turning temp down till you can maintain that temp, leave the vent open about 1/4 open, for red meat. leave your smoke genarator on the intire time that also helps a bit with heat. then just wait untill brisket hit 180 to 190. pull it out and wrap in foil then in a towel then into ice chest, to rest for an hour, till dive in. when you opened your smoker to change water you can lose alot of heat will take a bit to come back up. i put a brick in my smoker right under the puk ramp to help with heat come back. also when cooking big chunks of meat the meat temp will stall at one point and hold for a long time before it starts to rise. go out there right now and crank up yout smoker temp. to get your heat up to 210 or 220. my guess is you might have about 2 more hours of cooking.

dogstyler

Bill & Rob

thanks for your help.  I will continue to wait.  I thought that since it was a smaller cut of meat, that it would not take that long.  I guess I will have a good meal tomorrow!

Bill<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />It <u>will</u> get there.  You just have to be patient.  I always do my brisket at 210°.  Too easy with a BBQ Guru, but takes about 14hrs or more depending on size of brisket.  I go to 185° internal.  The meat will sit at 165° for awhile then start moving again.  0830.....you should have started earlier.  I start mine at 11 p.m. and since I am old and have to get up about 3 a.m. to visit the can, I change out the water pan then.  If doing more than one, I rotate shelves.  Otherwise, don't peek!  It takes a long time to recover.

Bill
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

dogstyler

Tualatin.............gateway to Portland!

Bill

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />dogstyler, where at in oregon?

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

dogstyler
what time did the brisket get done and how was it?

car54

I agree with Bill. Start late at night and if you have the BBQ Guru Rapter, it makes so easy to leave unattened. The only way of learning is to research the posts before and do your best as you get more experience.I find it very helpfull to keep a log of what I did and what the results and problems were. I also write down things to change or try on the next smoke.

Brad

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

if you are going to cook the night before. start off late, and before your meat is done fill up your ice chest with hot water to pre heat it, then empty it before putting the meat in, it will hold the temp longer, or heat up some bricks in oven to put in your chest to help keep it longer in the chest.

Habanero Smoker

If you are putting hot items in the cooler, you should place a towel between the hot item (whether it is the meat, hot water or bricks)and the surface of the cooler. Depending on the cooler, a lot of them will crack if they come into direct contact with a hot item.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dogstyler

Rob,

The brisket got done at 10:30 pm after I turned up the heat to 210.  After I let it set for an hour - I went to bed and rewarmed it for Sunday dinner.  It was very good.  I used emeril lagasse's texas brisket rub and barbecue dipping sauce.  I didnt really need the sauce -- pretty good without it.

Looking back:
I figured 1-1 ½ pounds per hour for cooking time.  Not the case when the weather is cold (38-40 degrees).  Next time I will preheat at 225 rather than 200 and put it in much earlier -- if it gets done early I will keep it warm in a "preheated" cooler.
I also would cut back on the rub – I almost dredged it rather than rubbed it, which is a little much.  The mesquite was good but probably a little stronger than the other smoke available.  I cooked it on the second shelf from the top, which was probably right, but I didn't leave the vent open a little.  The brisket was moist but the outside never did get crusty....probably because I used too much rub. I did notice a smoke ring though.

Thanks again for your help.

bill
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />dogstyler
what time did the brisket get done and how was it?

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

just crank up the temp when starting, you have to rember that your smoker will read 210 but there is nothing in there, once you put your meat in you have lost alot of heat and the meat is sucking it up to. max that puppy out . put meat in and wait then go out once smoker comes back up to 210 then start turn the temp down, if not you can hang to long in the danger zone, not so much for beef but things with wings, try put a musterd suace on the night befor then hit it with rub before going into smoker, i use this one.
Sam's Special Mustard Sauce

Makes about 5 cups
1 can Beer -- flat (12 oz)
4 cups prepared yellow mustard
1 Tbsp. Louisiana Hot Sauce
1/2 cup dark brown sugar -- packed
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper -- black pepper

Combine all the ingredients in a non-reactive bowl. Use a wire whisk to blend all the ingredients.

Store the mustard in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. It will keep for several months.

Prepare Briskets, ribs, pork, or chicken, then paint with the mustard sauce and season it with your rub. Barbecue as your normally would, using the indirect method. Remember this is not a dipping sauce, but a cooking sauce.

You can replace the beer with lemon juice use some booze for the beer, or use Dijon mustard for the American mustard.

JJC

Quote<i>Originally posted by dogstyler</i>
<br />First time for me to use my new bradley.

Welcome to the Forum, Bill--and Happy New Year!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

dogstyler

Thanks John!

bill<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by J2C</i>
<br />
Quote<i>Originally posted by dogstyler</i>
<br />First time for me to use my new bradley.

Welcome to the Forum, Bill--and Happy New Year!

John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

Dog,

I'm probably tool late here but here is my 2.3cents worth.

Just got doing two of the same in my BS.  Put them in at 6:30pm done at 3:15am.  Done a few this way.

I typiclly cook my brisket at 220 with 4hrs of smoke till an internal of not over 185.  Then I pull the meat , double wrap the meat in foil and give it splash of apple juice(first time for the juice). Then wrap in a towl then place in a cooler for a few hours.

The slow rise to cooking temp could be because of the temp of you meat, did you pull it right from the fridge or let it set for an hour or so?  Also this a low a slow smoker not a oven so it may act a little different.  Preheat heat that thing up to 250-275 or so for an hr then put you meat in. don't get stingy.

Also, you might do a search here for "rendering".  The paltaue of the temp is due to rendering.  It could stay that way for hours while the moisture and fat quits doing it's thing.  With out this platauing your meat would be big~~bad and tough.

Let me make another sugestion:  use Apple, Pecan, ro Maple for that Brisket, you will notice a BIG differance there.  To the better.

HTH and WELCOME TOHE FORUM......................

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...