Auber PID in UK

Started by manxman, December 23, 2008, 02:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

If anyone in the UK is interested in the Auber PID talked about on the forum here the specs appear to show it is suitable for use on the UK 240V system:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://auberins.com/index.php%3Fmain_page%3Dproduct_info%26products_id%3D72&sa=X&oi=smap&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=4&usg=AFQjCNHCk8NnPsQZ04WQhM-ASTb4fpfd2A

They also do a cheaper non programmable version at around $117.

I have had an email exchange with them today. Unfortunately they don't have a UK outlet but are currently quoting $27 carriage and handling to the UK. I may well invest in one in the New Year. Wish I had found out about this before the exchange rate went down the pan!!  :'(

To anyone that has one .......... are they reliable? Thanks.  :)
Manxman

Mr Walleye

Manxman

I'm not sure if you are asking if the company themselves are reliable or the PID itself, so I'll answer both.

I've dealt a few times now with Auber and there service is outstanding. On the one occasion I had a problem with a SSR he never questioned it, phoned me right away and shipped another one out immediately.

As far as the PID itself goes, the two that I have have never missed a beat. Other than the SSR problem mentioned above I've never had a problem with any of their products. Incidentally, the SSR was a dud from the factory which they indicated was rare and to my understanding that's true as I've never heard of anybody else having any issues.

Good luck

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

I have one of the plug-and-play Auber PID.

It works great. I have only had it six months or so, probably a dozen or more smokes.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

manxman

QuoteI'm not sure if you are asking if the company themselves are reliable or the PID itself, so I'll answer both.

Thanks for the quick replies folks.

Yes I was asking about the company and the PID itself as either could cause problems if getting it shipped across the pond so appreciate the answer from both angles.

For anyone interested on this side of the pond Auber say it can be ordered from the website and the appropriate shipping costs will be added automatically. Certainly been impressed with their prompt responses to my emails so far.
Manxman

Smoking Duck

I have the Auber PID that Iceman built for me.  I'm sure it was the combination of the builder and the product as I've been happy with mine.  I'm about as clumsy with electronics as a man born with 7 thumbs is with a pair of scissors and it's extremely easy for me to use and very durable.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

manxman

Ordered the unit on 07/01/09, it was shipped on 08/01/09 from the US and was across the pond and delivered to the house by 16/01/09. Well packed, came through customs without issue and the operating instructions (on CD) are excellent.

Mine is not plug and play as I ordered a wall mounted sensor that needs a hole drilling in the back of the BS smoker cabinet but that should be a quick job. The power cable that comes with it will also need changing for a UK cable, the only thing I am not sure about as yet is the cable that runs between the PID and the smoker cabinet?

Coupled with prompt replies to emails etc, to date I have been impressed. Hope to have it all wired up and in use over the next few days.

Manxman

Mr Walleye

Holy crap Manx!  :o

That's pretty quick shipping for sure!  ;)

Auber really is good to deal with. Congrats!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

manxman

QuoteHoly crap Manx! 

That's pretty quick shipping for sure! 

Auber really is good to deal with. Congrats!

Mike

Thanks Mike, appears that Auber have good customer service like Bradley.  :)

Paul
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

At first I'm thinking that's a long time, until I realized you are using the European date format.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteEuropean date format

Haha.......... yes it does get a bit confusing sometimes.  :D
Manxman