Kummok's Bradley Smoked Alaskan Salmon

Started by ollavac_j, December 22, 2008, 06:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollavac_j

Hi all, I'm interested in trying my very first batch of salmon and Kummock's recipe seems like the way to go:)  I have a few questions though.

After freezing, is this salmom similiar to the store bought smoked salmon where it's good to eat cold right out of the package?

Also, I don't own a PID controller yet, should I hold off on this recipe until I get one?

I came up with an awesome idea for my BDS recently.  I went out to Sam's Club and picked up a really nice 3 shelf utility cart for $58 bucks after tax and it allows me to roll my bradley in an out of the garage without having to pick it up and move it each time.  It also brings the smoker up to eye level so I don't have to bend down anymore.  I was also thinking of getting the external PID controller and setting it on the second shelf.  The two extra shelves also allow me to keep all my bradley accesories oraganized and handy.  I've attached a link for the shelf that I bought.  It's a commercial grade cart and will hold just about anything up to 500lbs.  There is one alteration you will need to make when assembling this cart.  The shelf that is ment to go on top should go down on the bottom because it's a deep shelf and you will not be able to open the bradley door if you use it on top.  Just use one of the shallower shelfs on top and you won't have any problems.  I hope this helps out some of you guys like it helped me.

http://www.sevilleclassics.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/21224/catid/157

Happy Holidays,
John

Mr Walleye

John

Sounds like you have the cart set up nicely.

Kummok's salmon is way better than any store bought!  ;) You can definitely eat it the same way and it freezes well. Just thaw it out, cut into bit size pieces and snack away!  ;)

I do have a PID but I don't see why you couldn't make it with out one. Just follow Kummok's directions and it will work out fantastic.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

ollavac_j

Thanks Mike.  I can't wait to try it out now  ;D...

John

Habanero Smoker

Hi ollavac_j;
Welcome to the forum.

Smoked salmon is prepared in many ways. Kummock's salmon is fully cooked, and I haven't found a fully cooked salmon that is any better. If you are referring to smoked cured salmon (similar to smoked lox), it is not the same. But both can be eaten cold out of the package.

I've had a similar chart that I purchased from Sam's a few years back. I keep my outdoor 24/7. I thought it was stainless steel, then I learned it was chrome plated. So it is not fully weather proof, and to keep it looking good protect it from the elements as much as possible. Mine started rusting after about 6 months. The rust began at the welded areas and quickly spread. I still have mine and it works well, but it looks like heck; being covered with rust.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ollavac_j

Yeah it must be the same cart.  Mine looks plated too.  I just love the fact that I can wheel it around and no more bending down:)  The price was good too compared to some of the rubbermaids I was looking at for $150 or more...

John

KyNola

Hey John,
You can definitely make it without the luxury of a PID.  I don't have a PID either but have made Kummok's salmon many times.  You just have to set a timer to remind you to go out and bump the heat to the next level each time it's time to increase the heat.

The salmon freezes really well and tastes great when thawed.  I have read where Kummok says he's not sure he doesn't like it better after it has been frozen for a while.

I say go for it and let us know how it goes!
KyNola

ollavac_j

Hey KyNola.  I guess I'm eager to get one for temperture control.  From what I've read and have been told the PID should keep my box temp within one degree of what I set it to.  Right now it fluctuates quite a bit.  My maverick says one thing the BDS says something else and it seems to fluctuate a lot I think because of the winter weather...  Not sure?