A little too salty...

Started by ollavac_j, December 26, 2008, 03:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollavac_j

Hi all,  I smoked Kummok' salmon recipe yesterday and I used the soy sauce instead of the teriyaki because I read someone elses post that they thought it was too sweet with teriyaki.  I found that it was very tasty but I needed to drink lots of water with it because it was a bit salty for my taste.  If I marinade it less do you think that might help with it being too salty?  Please help.

Thanks,
John

Smoking Duck

Hey John,

Instead of marinating it less, why not try 1/2 soy and 1/2 teriyaki or perhaps a low sodium soy sauce.  I found the teriyaki to be just right for my family's tastes, so I've never done the soy alone.  Just a thought if you find it too salty.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

tsquared

Ollavac--I'm enjoying a batch that I smoked the other day using a combo of low sodium and terriyaki--tastes great.
T2

pensrock

When I first made it myself, I was concerned it would be too salty with the soy so I used the terriyaki and everyone loved it. So I never tried making it any other way. Also I do not use quite as much as the recipe calls for. I think I use a smaller bottle, maybe 12-16 oz? Not sure right now.

Habanero Smoker

As stated above reducing the salt will work, but also decreasing the brining time will also reduce the saltiness.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ollavac_j

Thanks fellas.  They all sound like great ideas.  I was also looking at getting the external PID controller pretty soon.  Do any of you guys recommend the wall mounting sensor or the one that hangs throught the middle vent?

Thanks for all your inputs...
John C

Smoking Duck

I like the one that I get to place wherever I want it.....that way, I know the exact temp that my meat is getting and the PID can react to it.  Mounting on a wall may not get you the exact temp you're looking for.  Even in something as small as a Bradley, you can get hot and cold spots.  Someone else may feel differently, but that's what I think.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

ollavac_j