Snack Sticks....yummy

Started by smokeitall, December 26, 2008, 12:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeitall

This is a first for me.  I have never made Snack Sticks.  I was brave and for my first try I made a 25lb batch.  I used seasoning from curleyssausagekitchen.com, I have used Keith's seasonings (Venison Bacon & Summer Sausage) now for two years and do not have one complaint, they are great.

I used 15 lbs Venison, 10 lbs Pork Butt
After mixing I separated into two equal parts and added some garlic powder to both and red pepper and chopped jalepenos to only one.

They turned out better than I expected.

If anybody needs an exact step by step just let me know...

Smoked

Smokeitall-- sticks look GREAT!!!   I use seasoning/cure from LEM Products for mine but am always looking to try new things. What casings did you use?  I typically use a 19mm collagen from Cabelas or catalogs.. Also, how long did you smoke 'em, what wood?  Thanks--Ed

smokeitall

Quote from: Smoked on December 26, 2008, 02:18:11 PM
Smokeitall-- sticks look GREAT!!!   I use seasoning/cure from LEM Products for mine but am always looking to try new things. What casings did you use?  I typically use a 19mm collagen from Cabelas or catalogs.. Also, how long did you smoke 'em, what wood?  Thanks--Ed

Sorry I forgot to post the wood.  I use Mesquite for all my Summer Sausage and Snack Sticks.  I used the 21mm casings that came with the kit.  i would have rather used the 19mm but I don't have a stuffing tube that small.  I would like to get a smaller and longer stuffing tube so that I could fit all of the casing at one time instead of having to keep loading it because it just barely fits. 

This is the recipe that I follow:

Cody Snack Stick Recipe - 25# Batch
25# Beef or 20# Beef & 5# Pork
(15# wild game & 10# Pork)
6 cups (3#) Water
Cody's Snack Stick Premixed Seasoning - 1.46#
2 oz. Taste Booster
1 oz. Sure Cure
Procedures:
*Grind all meat twice through 1/8" plate, or use ground beef or pork.
*Place ground meat in meat lugs or pans, sprinkle on 1/2 of seasoning, cure and water.
*Mix thoroughly with hands 5-8 minutes. Add rest of seasoning, cure and water. Mix thoroughly
with hands 5-10 minutes. As you mix the meat will get tacky (sticky) and will turn a dark cured
color. Mixing of meat is the most important part of sausage making, you can't over mix. Pack
meat into stuffer very tightly to exclude all air pockets.
*Stuff in 21mm collagen or sheep casings.
*Place in refrigerator overnight—this is important for the meat to cure.
Smoking:
*Hang sausages in smokehouse evenly, so as not to touch.
*Preheat smokehouse to 130 degrees. (if no heat controls just go by the hours below.)
*Drying cycle—sausage needs to be dry for smoke to penetrate casing. This usually takes about
an hour at 130 degrees, damper open.
*Smoking cycle—turn temp to 150 degrees, damper 1/2 open, for 2 hours or until desired color.
*Cook cycle—turn temp to 170-190 degrees until internal temp is 155 degrees, dampers closed.
*Cold shower—place in sink with cold water for 5 minutes, this helps prevent wrinkles.
***Optional - add 2.5# cheddar or jalapeno cheese, 1/2 oz. Garlic, 2 oz. Liquid Smoke, 2 oz.
Ground Red Pepper
**50# Batch – ingredients x 2 **100# Batch – ingredients x 4

Smoking Duck

Looks really good, smokeitall!  I've really got to get my butt in gear and start doing some snack sticks.  What type of stuffer do you use?  I have a Cabela's grinder that comes with stuffer tubes but have read where it can be tougher stuffing with a grinder.

Sd

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caribou

Those look great, too.
Now I want a vacuum sealer!
Carolyn

smokeitall

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 26, 2008, 03:45:07 PM
Looks really good, smokeitall!  I've really got to get my butt in gear and start doing some snack sticks.  What type of stuffer do you use?  I have a Cabela's grinder that comes with stuffer tubes but have read where it can be tougher stuffing with a grinder.

Sd

Thanks,
I use a 5lb vertical stuffer from Grizzly.  I have tried the ones connected to a grinder and have not liked it.

deb415611

Quote from: smokeitall on December 26, 2008, 05:38:34 PM

Sd

Thanks,
I use a 5lb vertical stuffer from Grizzly.  I have tried the ones connected to a grinder and have not liked it.

Smokeitall --- they look great.  I just got the 5 lb vertical stuffer from Grizzly for Christmas.  I'm going to use it for the first time tomorrow.  I think I will do some snacksticks. 

smokeitall

Quote from: deb415611 on December 26, 2008, 05:42:23 PM
Quote from: smokeitall on December 26, 2008, 05:38:34 PM

Sd

Thanks,

Just be careful what casing size you get.  The smallest tube that Grizzly sends will take a 21mm casing but that is the absolute smallest and the whole thing will not go on at once...you have to slide the opening over since it barely fits and then just keep sliding on as much as will fit.  I was able to get about 4-5 ft of casing on the stuffer tube.

Smokeitall --- they look great.  I just got the 5 lb vertical stuffer from Grizzly for Christmas.  I'm going to use it for the first time tomorrow.  I think I will do some snacksticks. 

Smokin Soon

Funny, after seeing these mega loads smokeitall is doing, I want a big freezer!!! My 5 lb loads seem so wimpy now.  ;D

Piker

I have a very handy buddy who took a peice of 3/8 stainless steel tubing welded it to a washer that fit under the tube nut on my stuffer Its about 8in. long holds lots of casings and I have no problem filling them. The meat slides out real easy.

NePaSmoKer

great job, they look real good

nepas

smokeitall

Quote from: Piker on December 27, 2008, 08:12:07 AM
I have a very handy buddy who took a peice of 3/8 stainless steel tubing welded it to a washer that fit under the tube nut on my stuffer Its about 8in. long holds lots of casings and I have no problem filling them. The meat slides out real easy.

Thank you for the idea.  I have a customer / friend that I think can weld stainless at his shop.  I am going to see if he will make me one.  I think your right that should work just fine.  I think my washer size would have to be about 1.5"
Thanks again.

drano

The Cabelas stuffer has a 2" end on it.  So if any of your stuffers are the same, you're in luck.  I'm pretty sure Cabelas sells their stuffer tubes as seperates (or I'd bet you can get them as parts).  Their smallest is stainless steel .5" outside diameter, and 21mm collagen bunched up like it is out of the package fits over it.  And the tube is close to a foot long, so it holds lots of casing. 
I'll be using mine again next week for a batch of sticks. 

I cut mine to the length of the trays, and lay them flat.  That way I can rotate them, and hopefully get a good, even doneness. 

drano

BigJohnT

Quote from: smokeitall on December 27, 2008, 09:51:49 AM
Thank you for the idea.  I have a customer / friend that I think can weld stainless at his shop.  I am going to see if he will make me one.  I think your right that should work just fine.  I think my washer size would have to be about 1.5"
Thanks again.

Did you ever get your tube?

Any good recipes for the seasoning mix?

JT

smokeitall

And thats where it starts... ;D ;D ;D
SIA