Venison Bacon ---- Sounds kinda weird

Started by smokeitall, December 26, 2008, 12:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeitall

It feels like I am taking over this thread....sorry

I have made this two years in a row and it is always gone within a month...

This is a ground and formed Venison Bacon.  I again use the CurleysSausageKitchen.com seasoning.  I do not change or add anything from the directions.  And I used Maple pucks for the smoke.

15 lbs Venison - 10 lbs pork butt

When I fry this up I like to use a little regular bacon grease that I save.  This is a pretty lean bacon and can burn easily if not attended to.  Also very good on a breakfast sandwich.

pensrock

Thats really interesting, does it actually taste like bacon?

Smokin Soon

Might sound wierd, but really looks good! I bet it tastes like a fried fatty!  ;D

Smoking Duck

That does look interesting to me as well....is the texture like that of regular buckboard bacon or more like gound beef jerky?

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

Looks like it might have the consistency of commercial turkey bacon. Maybe I can make my own turkey bacon that way. Hmmm.....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

smokeitall

It taste a little like bacon, but of course the texture is like the turkey bacon.  When I use the belly bacon grease to fry it in it gives it even a better taste.

I have never tasted buckboard bacon or fatty's, those are on the list  :)

Tenpoint5

Looks pretty good. I see you have the $15 fold up Rival slicer as well. I was hoping to get rid of mine but I just can't. That slicer works pretty good for slicing bacon. If only you didn't have to have 3 arms to use it.

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Piker

I have used the same rival slicer for years and have not a problem with it. The rubber feet hold it steady and one finger on the control button and other hand to slide tray back and forth. I can do a 5lb summer sausage in about 5 mins.

smokeitall

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 29, 2008, 02:10:57 PM
Looks pretty good. I see you have the $15 fold up Rival slicer as well. I was hoping to get rid of mine but I just can't. That slicer works pretty good for slicing bacon. If only you didn't have to have 3 arms to use it.

Yeah you can't beat that Rival Slicer, I think I got mine for like $17 on a walmart clearance.  I would like to get a deli slicer someday from a meat shop or deli that is closing down....

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Piker on December 30, 2008, 08:29:03 AM
I have used the same rival slicer for years and have not a problem with it. The rubber feet hold it steady and one finger on the control button and other hand to slide tray back and forth. I can do a 5lb summer sausage in about 5 mins.

And the thrid hand to catch the pieces and stack them all perty like.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!