Apple Wood Question

Started by ollavac_j, December 23, 2008, 05:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollavac_j

I bought some apple pucks today to smoke some salmon and I can't wait to crank up the ol' BDS.  Should I have gone with adler instead or will apple work just as good?

Thanks,
John C

Smokin Soon

Apple is a very mild smoke and would not offend anyone. I have friends that thought they did not like anything smoked, but Apple , Maple, Pecan are very safe bets. Some here like Alder, but I have not tried yet.

Gizmo

Apple will work just fine.  I am actually using apple today myself. 
Alder is very popular with Salmon and I have some Alder Smoked Salmon in the fridge.  I am out of alder right now and am also putting another hour of smoke on a pre-cooked ham, 3 days of 1 hour cold smoking with apple.  Since I have the smoke going for the ham, I am adding in a tray or two of salmon, and filling the rest of the smoker with pistachios.  Nothing like maximizing the effort of 1 hour of bisquettes.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

ollavac_j

Okay good : )  Speaking of hams, I have a 5lb pre-cooked spiral sliced ham and I'm planning on using the Bradley maple glazed recipe.  I applied the delicious paste to it today and it's resting in the fridge as we speak.  I plan to smoke it with maple for about three hours in the bradley at around 220.  Not sure how long it will take to bring the internal temperture up to 140 though.  Any ideas?

Smokin Soon

On the spiral cut pre cooked hams, I just kind of use their instructions but apply smoke while heating. It's really good. I think you have to maintain a temp of 250, so if your in ultra cold might have to oven finish.

ollavac_j

Thanks SS.  Just picked up some Sokeye from Safeway for $7.99 a pound.  I have to try that recipe : )