Need brisket help, ASAP!

Started by bullsi1911, December 27, 2008, 08:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullsi1911

OK, I screwed up my planning.

I put my 12 pound, dry rubbed brisket in the BDS at 9:AM and gave it 4 hours of smoke.  It has been in for close to 14 hours at 210-220. 

Here is the problem- we are going to serve it at my Mom's house tomorrow afternoon.  The original plan was to give it 10-12 hours in the smoker, and then 2 hrs in the oven at my Mom's to finish it.  I sorta loosely planned on pulling it, wrapping in foil, refrigerating, and then driving down there (2 hr drive) to finish it. 

Now I am wondering- Should I refrigerate it?  Should I just FTC tonight at midnight and give it a 8-10 hr FTC before finishing it in the oven?  Should I just bring it into the home oven and set it at 175 for the overnight and FTC in the morning for transport?    Am I screwed?

Help, oh wise ones!

Brisket Lover

I'm not a wise one but do you know the internal temp?

Consiglieri

Pull it about 160 IT, refrigerate it until tomorrow.  Fire up the oven tomorrow morning and prepare a roasting pan/roasting rack with about a half inch of fluid (beef broth or apple juice or maybe a little of each with a shot of JD), and cover with foil.  Oven temp 210 to 220.  The fluid will infuse the meat.  If it hits IT early, FTC.

This is basically what Habs recommends doing for a pastrami, which is cured brisket.  His most recent suggestions were to steam the meat.   I did it for beef pastrami last superbowl and it turned out great. 

Consiglieri

westexasmoker

A bit late no doubt, but I'd keep in the oven at 220 overnight then FTC on the way to Moms!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

Just don't forget it's in the oven!  ;)

I would do it the Consig's way (going against the Family is never a good idea).

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Brisket Lover

Yup I slept thru my high temp alarm or it didn't go off and it was in the oven and mine reached 212 but it was still really good.