oh my GOSH this is bad

Started by love the smoke, December 28, 2008, 04:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love the smoke

So Im in the middle of a bacon wrapped chicken breast smoke when I open the door to check the it with my new Thermapen when the entire door FALLS OFF  :o :o :o :o holy crap now what, i positioned the door on somewhat so I could finish the smoke, anybody have any ideas as to why my door fell off?

LTS
LTS

pensrock

You we not using mesquite were ya?  ;) ;D

Just kidding, I have not heard of this happening before, perhaps the hindge broke?  ???

Mr Walleye

LTS

I can't say I've heard of that either.  ???

If it is still under warranty I would call Bradley. If it's not I see Bryan over at Yard & Pool has both the hinge and the hinge pins. I'm assuming it's one or the other. Here's a link...

http://www.yardandpool.com/home.php?cat=117

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

WOW!

Mine has developed a gap in the seal, but a bungie cord fixed that. I have a new seal I ordered from Yard and Pool, I just have not installed it yet.

The only thing I can think of is catastrophic hinge failure.

Is the unit under warranty ?

I had no idea that mesquite would do that. Now where is that teabag ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

KyNola

LTS,
Are you serious?  I know you are but holy crap...that is amazing.  I'm sorry for what happened and have absolutely no advice except call Bradley if you're under warranty.  Otherwise, Bryan at www.yardandpool.com he will hook you up.

KyNola

love the smoke

4 months old I will be calling Bradley in the morning
LTS

firerescueman

I had the same thing happen about a month ago.....  one call to Bradley solved my problem!   New door arrived within just a couple of days :D

Yeah, Bradley!

God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

Habanero Smoker

I've had my Bradley take a 3 foot fall off a cart and bent the hinges, but the door never came off. The only way I can see the door falling off is if one of the hinges loosen up over time. Eventually loosening enough, or coming off completely, allowing the door to detach from the body.

I think as part of my periodic maintenance I'll now check to make sure the hinges are secure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

firerescueman

the top bracket fell down inside the door on mine....  it was nothing that could be repaired easily.  Bradley just sent me a new door.  The bottom hinge pin can be easily checked,  but I haven't really looked at the new door closely enough to see if there is any adjustment that can be made to the top hinge bracket.
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

love the smoke

Bradley comes through again talked to them this morning and they are sending out a new door and a new bottom hinge  ;D

LTS
LTS

drano

LTS,
did you inadvertantly push up on the door and push the lower door pin out of the hinge? 
I was installing my fan last week, had OBS on her back, bumped the door toward the top hinge, and the bottom pin came out of the bottom hinge.  The door sits on the bottom hinge sorta like a patio door sits in the rail--insert top, push way up, then set onto lower hinge. 
If thats what happened, you'll have a spare door soon.  If not, Bradley took care of you as always.
get smokin
drano

HCT

Holy bacon wrapped chicken Batman!!!
Glad Bradley came through again, as usual, great peeps.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

love the smoke

does anybody know the correct way to install the new door? , don't want to mess up the new one

LTS
LTS

pensrock

I cannot say for sure but from reading others posts it sounds like the top needs to go in and pushed up, thus allowing the bottom pin to slip into place and when the door is lowered it is done. I hope its that easy. Maybe you should wait till someone else who has done it replies. The other thing you could do is just call Bradley, they should be able to guide you through it right on the phone. I talked to Brian before and he was very helpful.