What did I get myself into this time???

Started by same2you, January 02, 2009, 09:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Welcome Same2you...as you have surmized, we are an interesting group of very fun people...most very wise at great tasting smoked "stuff"!!

As far as your questions...I think the cult has given you the answers that you seek!!  ;D

same2you

ok, it's here!!!!

As mentioned earlier, I've held my wallet wide open at the local retailers.  I now have the DBS6, cover, the Maverick Dual Probe, some tenderquick, the morton's meat pump, a couple of books on curing/smoking/etc, a box of each type of wood (including the Crown Royal and Jim Beam), and the Thermoworks super-fast thermopen (just 'cause it's cool to see the temp if anything in 3 seconds).  I also have the receipts well hidden from the wife ;o)

So now the day is here... and I have nothing in the fridge to put in it :o( .  So, tonight is the seasoning, and tomorrow is going to be the virgin run.  I'm thinking of starting of easy for the first run and to make a chicken; does anyone have a good recipe for a whole chicken that is not too 'fancy' (more of a meat and potato's kind of a guy, so I have no interest in making it taste like something its not).  

Then the next day, I have to try to reproduce the Standing Rib roast that I make on the Grill with the little smokerbox...  Anything that I should watch out for with rib roast?  I usually like to have a nice fat-cap on it, I assume that i'm still good leaving it on as it will help keep the roast moist, or will it be too much fat in the smoker?

Gizmo

Looks like you forgot the most important ingredient, the case of what ever you like to consume in liquid poroportions.    :o

Chicken is good but the skin can be like rubber if you do low and slow.  Suggest finish in the oven at a higher temp.

Pork butt is probably the easiest to nail, takes a long time, but the payoff is HUGE.  You will instantly be the king of Butts, and that is a good thing!

For the standing Rib, LOW and SLOW is not the choice for a tender cut of meet.  Smoke at a higher temp and only go to 135 max (IMHO). 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Follow Gizmo's recommendations on finishing. I like to apply 1:40 - 2 hours of smoke (either apple, maple or pecan in that order or use a mix. I've tried the JB bisquettes on NY Strip and it was great, it may be good on chicken.

This is a nice basic rub you may like. .
Basic Poultry Rub

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)