Buffalo

Started by Curtis Jackson, January 03, 2005, 06:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Curtis Jackson

Anyone smoked buffalo? I have a bunch of ground buffalo and a couple of English roasts being shipped in, but I'm concerned that it is too lean to smoke. Buffalo is leaner than boneless skinless chicken breast.

Curtis Jackson
[email protected]

bsolomon

I would suggest using the "bacon trick."  get a pound of cheap, fatty bacon, completely cover one of your racks with this, and place this in the topmost rack position above your buffalo meat.  As you smoke, the fat will drip down and self-baste the buffalo, and when you are done, you will have some really fantastic double-smoked bacon jerky as well as some very juicy buffalo.  If you have more htan 1 rack of bufflo meat, be sure to rotate the racks both front to back and top to bottom, always leaving the bacon in the top slot.

Curtis Jackson

I decided to just try it as-is. I smoked an English roast (boneless rolled cross rib roast) using alternating pecan and oak bisquettes, and brought it to 140 degrees. It was, in a word, perfect. OK, actually I wish I had smoked it longer at 190-200 degrees instead of smoking it at 220; it could have handled it easily.

This was also my first outing with the BBQ Guru/Raptor combo, and it also performed flawlessly.

Curtis Jackson
[email protected]

nsxbill

Curtis,

Sometimes you just have to rely on the experience of others.  It is great that your roast turned out great...hard to ruin things in the Bradley.  The addition of bacon above is that it even makes it better.  In fact almost obscene!  When I have done chicken, turkey, brisket butt, and esp ribs, I have done the top rack in bacon.   What great flavor it imparts to your final product, and keeps thing even more moist and tasty!  Give it a try sometime.  You will not be disappointed.

Happy Smoking!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

They had buffalo on the American Iron Chef, probably worth watching the re-run....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...