PID questions

Started by mike66, December 27, 2008, 06:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike66

Im new to the forum and have some questions for the experts on here. I ahve been lookng at the PID controller on here and was wondering if someone had a set of plans to build one? I wont to use the Auber PIDfor SSR output. Can this also be used to controll a blower like the stoker, if so does anyone have plan for that too?
Thanks ahead for any and all help.

pensrock

Welcome to the site. As far as plans to build your own PID control system you can find it on the recipie site. I'm not sure what you are asking as far as the stoker blower goes.

mike66

Do you have the link to the thread?
As for the Stoker blower can it be used to control a 10 CFM fan blower on a stick burner firebox to control temps? There is one on the market called the Stoker that is basiclly the same thing as the PID but it turns a 10 CFM fan off and on to regulate the heat instead of a heater or smoke generator on the Bradley. If it would work I could use it on both my Bradley and my stick burner with the added blower.

Habanero Smoker

Mike66;

Welcome to the forum. First question; do you have a Bradley or other electric smoker. If so you do not need the stoker fan for controlling the temperatures. If you are building one to control your charcoal or wood burner pit, then the BBQ Guru site can sell you a fan you can use with the PID. I recall forum member Car54 posting that he ordered a CMF fan to control his charcoal smoker. Hopefully he will see your post and reply.

You should read the whole thread before you begin ordering parts. For the PID instructions: PID Controller

CMF Blower Fans: CMF Blower Fans

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

drano

Mike66
I'd assume you want a PID for a Bradley. 
Once you add up all the PID parts, compare the price (and your time) to a pre-built from Auber.
http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14&zenid=d41ac74811574630e2e9e179112463e2
$117.50 for the regular model, or $149.50 for the programable model, plus shipping.
I'm using the programable model for the second time today, and it works great.  You can set 6 stages to their own temp and length of time.  Programming is easy--I only had to read the directions once!
Auber will return an email question in less than a day, and everyone here says he is very helpfull if you have any issues. 
Just another option for you to consider.
drano