Skeptical New Owner

Started by mjack1957, December 28, 2008, 05:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

I have a wireless router in my house and no problems whatsoever.

This is by far one of the friendliest and helpful forums I've ever been a part of.  You're usually never more than a couple of minutes away from an answer on most any question.

I can understand your apprehensions, especially in these economic times.  I think in a lot of cases, operator error plays a big part in a lot of problems.  But, for those that aren't, Bradley is quick to help with customer service.  They usually have someone from the Head Office monitoring these boards and if they don't see it here, they can be reached quite easily.  Additionally, what you'll find is that there are many members here who can help with quite a few issues before Bradley even gets involved.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

KyNola

MJ,
I have not done a brisket as I'm in Kentucky where beef is not the king of smoked meats but there is a member of this forum, WestTexasSmoker who is the KING of briskets although he insists on using mesquite wood.  He will be happy to guide you through a brisket.  In the meantime, here is a link for a website that we have all contributed to for recipes of all things in the Bradley along with a good FAQ section.  Check it out! http://www.susanminor.org/ May help you with some of your questions.

KyNola

Stargazer

MJ,

For what its worth, I am a real new owner of Bradley.

I use to use a bullet smoker with got old for many reasons. Couldn't control my smoke times, to hard to adjust my heat, ambient weather hijacking my meat chamber temperatures, hard to clean and very messy to deal with.

I did alot of research on smokers in general which lead me to Bradley. The members here can vouch I still waited awhile before I finally got mine. They were very kind and walked me through many recipes and such until I got mine. During the wait, there were some times I became skeptic.

However, I went ahead with it, and to be honest, I'll never look back again.

As Smoking Soon perfectly said which I agree... if my Bradley were to be swept up in a tornado or something, I would be getting another one as soon as possible.

It is effortless to use, built incredibly well, and smokes your food very evenly with out all that soot taste from resin and barks that chunked wood has in it.

Another thing I noticed right away was how well insulated this baby was. I have seen others smokers insulated just as good, but they have a $1200 starting price tag for their base model. Even the top is double pained on the Bradley. It's just very solid, nothing flimsy about it.

The first smoke I did was pretty cold out side with high winds. I was more then sure it would mess the heat up like when I used to use my old bullet. Not with Bradley. It just stayed nice a toasty inside, cooking like a champ. Actually that was very shocking, in a good way.

I hate to say it but, I really wasn't expecting Bradley to be this good.

Mind you, I am no where near the experience of the others here on this forum. Not even close even though I do look up to each one of them for support in recipes and such. However, I seen your post and had to reply because at one time I even felt this way. But that skeptic feeling disappeared fast soon as my delivery arrived.

I do hope you enjoy yours as much as I have and still enjoying.

Happy holidays and keep us posted :)
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

mjack1957

Quote from: Stargazer on December 28, 2008, 08:24:59 PM
MJ,

For what its worth, I am a real new owner of Bradley.

I use to use a bullet smoker with got old for many reasons. Couldn't control my smoke times, to hard to adjust my heat, ambient weather hijacking my meat chamber temperatures, hard to clean and very messy to deal with.

I did alot of research on smokers in general which lead me to Bradley. The members here can vouch I still waited awhile before I finally got mine. They were very kind and walked me through many recipes and such until I got mine. During the wait, there were some times I became skeptic.

However, I went ahead with it, and to be honest, I'll never look back again.

As Smoking Soon perfectly said which I agree... if my Bradley were to be swept up in a tornado or something, I would be getting another one as soon as possible.

It is effortless to use, built incredibly well, and smokes your food very evenly with out all that soot taste from resin and barks that chunked wood has in it.

Another thing I noticed right away was how well insulated this baby was. I have seen others smokers insulated just as good, but they have a $1200 starting price tag for their base model. Even the top is double pained on the Bradley. It's just very solid, nothing flimsy about it.

The first smoke I did was pretty cold out side with high winds. I was more then sure it would mess the heat up like when I used to use my old bullet. Not with Bradley. It just stayed nice a toasty inside, cooking like a champ. Actually that was very shocking, in a good way.

I hate to say it but, I really wasn't expecting Bradley to be this good.

Mind you, I am no where near the experience of the others here on this forum. Not even close even though I do look up to each one of them for support in recipes and such. However, I seen your post and had to reply because at one time I even felt this way. But that skeptic feeling disappeared fast soon as my delivery arrived.

I do hope you enjoy yours as much as I have and still enjoying.

Happy holidays and keep us posted :)

Stargazer,

Thanks for your post. I'm a little more comfortable with my decision.  I realize that a company like Bradley couldn't possibly manufacture a 100% of defective free units. There are bound to be some problems.  I'm just hoping to get a great defective free unit.  Everything you said about the WB is true. I normally smoke brined turkeys for the holidays.  Getting the temp right, dealing with coals, clean up and all that is just too much.  Hopefully with the DBS, I can pre-heat, leave the meat at room temp for about an hour or so and then get going.

Caneyscud

MJ,
Just went through some of the same thoughts.  Bought my BDS without knowing about this forum.  Received the unit, but then had to wait to use it due to circumstances beyond my control!  LOL.  In the mean time, I read a few bad reviews, had my doubts, then found this forum, and felt better.  I too have used big trailer rigs of various descriptions over the years as well as a bullet or two.  Currently down to a Bandera and my BDS.  Finally did my first smoke on the 26th.  Ambitious smoke for a virgin, Butts (3), spareribs, fatties and moinkballs.  Wasn't as carefree as I would have hoped, but that was just me peeking.  Unit held good temps in 50-55 deg. ambient and quite a bit of wind.  That was a pleasant surprise.  Taste was great!  All did not get done by time for dinner, but finished those off in the oven (in foil) a couple of days later - my lips are still smacking.  I may have just smoked my last BBR, those spareribs were great!!!!!  I'm not looking back even though I am in the process of thinking out my next big rig.  That's the Tim the Toolman mod. 

Mike
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

mjack1957

Quote from: Caneyscud on December 29, 2008, 06:44:13 AM
MJ,
Just went through some of the same thoughts.  Bought my BDS without knowing about this forum.  Received the unit, but then had to wait to use it due to circumstances beyond my control!  LOL.  In the mean time, I read a few bad reviews, had my doubts, then found this forum, and felt better.  I too have used big trailer rigs of various descriptions over the years as well as a bullet or two.  Currently down to a Bandera and my BDS.  Finally did my first smoke on the 26th.  Ambitious smoke for a virgin, Butts (3), spareribs, fatties and moinkballs.  Wasn't as carefree as I would have hoped, but that was just me peeking.  Unit held good temps in 50-55 deg. ambient and quite a bit of wind.  That was a pleasant surprise.  Taste was great!  All did not get done by time for dinner, but finished those off in the oven (in foil) a couple of days later - my lips are still smacking.  I may have just smoked my last BBR, those spareribs were great!!!!!  I'm not looking back even though I am in the process of thinking out my next big rig.  That's the Tim the Toolman mod. 

Mike

That was indeed a bold undertaking in a brand new DBS.  Were you using the 6 rack or 4 and what time did you start.  Briskets normally take quite a bit of time.  Also, was the smoke chamber temp consistent throughout, i.e. any temp spikes or lows?

drano

mjack1957
Congrats on joining the Bradley team!
Are you ever going to make sausage?  If not, I'd guess the BDS will be awsome.  If you are, you may want to read more of the forums quick, and consider changing your order to an Original smoker, and buy the pre-made PID from Auber.  The OBS and a PID would be close to the same price as a BDS.  The PID will give you precise temp control.  I ran mine for about 20 hours over the last 2 days w/ my new Auber PID, and it never got more than 2 deg off the set temp (unless I opened the door--then it was back in ~10 minutes).
Precise temp control is great for sausage.  Keeping the smoker at 175 or 180 deg cooks it as fast as possible, and doesn't get too hot or too cold.  I've also got a Love digital thermometer controller (an on/off type switch) that would keep the smoker about +/- 8 deg because the temps overshoot the set temp on heater on/off cycles (just like your house gets warmer/cooler than the thermostat setting).  A PID, being a "smarter" controller, prevents this. 
But I'm sure plenty of people make sausage on the BDS too, so yes it can be done, but a PID helps us make a better end product (in my opinion).
When you get it set up and seasoned, I'd recommend a small, easy smoke for the first go, such as 3-4 lb pork butt (set smoker to 220 deg and leave in on until meat is 190 deg, it will be pull apart in about 8 hours), or do a chicken.  Resist the urge to fill the smoker on the first try.  Get some experience first.  Don't jepordize lots of $$$ of meat and have no nothing to serve come eatin time. 
OK, I'll stop rambling. 
Enjoy your Bradley. 
drano

Caneyscud

Quote from: mjack1957 on December 29, 2008, 10:43:08 AM
Quote from: Caneyscud on December 29, 2008, 06:44:13 AM
MJ,

Mike

That was indeed a bold undertaking in a brand new DBS.  Were you using the 6 rack or 4 and what time did you start.  Briskets normally take quite a bit of time.  Also, was the smoke chamber temp consistent throughout, i.e. any temp spikes or lows?

Four rack BDS - non stainless, but beautiful nonetheless.  The inside is starting to look good now - that smoked in look!   Started about 10:00 am.  Put in 3 hours worth of Hickory.  Set it for 200 and was pretty variable at first (+- 15 deg) then settled in and stayed pretty much +- 5 deg of 200.  IT seemed to stay at a plateau of 155 for ages, so I bumped the temp to 225 and it started rising again.  Took out moinkballs about 4 hours I believe and fatties about 5 hours.  The largest boneless butt (3.75#) came out at 180 deg about 7 hours - it was on lowest and hottest rack.  Would have liked to have left in till 190, but they were hollering at me from the table.  It didn't pull very well, but was tender and tasted very good.  Left the spareribs and other 2 butts (about 2.5# each) and set temp to 250.  In about an hour they had gotten up to about 150-155, (cab temp of 235-240) but took them out because it was requested that I go shopping with them.   Cooled down, foiled and put in refrig. until Sunday and put them in a 300 deg oven until 190.  Spareribs looked they could stand more, so they stayed in another hour or so.  Pretty tasty!

Temp. control totally okay for butts and spareribs and would be totally ok for briskets (next smoke).  Unless using a very large and heavy smoker, I can't control the temp any better than that - probably worse than that if you hold a gun to my head for a confession. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"