Power Issues

Started by CoastalBend, December 28, 2008, 04:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoastalBend

I got an OBS for Christmas, and have really enjoyed reading the forum on here for the past few days.  I tried to fire it up this afternoon to season it, but cannot get either Power Indicator light to come on.  I have read and re-read the instruction manual and am confident that I have put everything together correctly.  It wont work plugged directly into the outlet, nor will it work with an extension cord.  The outlet works fine, so I know that's not the problem.  Customer Service is not available until tomorrow, so I figured I would ask if anyone on here has a a tip or two to help me work through this. 

Would like to season it and smoke some ribs tomorrow for a test run before New Years.  Time is short!  Thanks for any help!

pensrock

The one thing you can check without any disassembly is the power connections on the back of the unit. For some reason the cords Bradley uses do not always make good contact when plugged in. Many have wiggled the cords when plugging in till they made contact. If not that, its possible a wire came unplugged inside the unit during shipping.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum CoastalBend

That is strange. It would seem that on the Smoke Generator or the Tower that something could have worked loose during shipping, but both ?

The usual tips are make sure the cords are plugged in securely, press 'em in real good.

On my OBS, the Smoke generator plugs into the wall, the tower plugs into the Smoke generator.

If you purchased it locally, perhaps you can exchange the entire unit.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

CoastalBend

Thanks for the responses.  Yeah, my Smoke Generator is what plugs directly into the wall.  I have tried messing around with the connections quite a bit, with no luck. 

Caneyscud

You might have to push the buttons with something a little narrower than the flat of your finger.  My button to turn the smoke generator on I have to use the tip of my finger, in fact the fingernail for it to switch on.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

Hi Caneyscud;
Sorry to have to welcome you to the board in this way.

Have you plugged the cabinet directly into the outlet to by pass the generator to see if the heating element lights up? This will help narrow down the problem.

Check the fuse located in the back of the generator. Even if the fuse is good, you may just need to take it out and reseat it for a better fit.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sheri

Your not alone mine came 12/23 and smoked jerky 12/24 smoker worked so we smoked and put jerky in the oven.  Same thing No Power tried everything and the Element missing nuts. Put a nut on still no power tested everthing and just sent the warrenty info in after it happened but Holiday...  I'm waiting for return email.

westexasmoker

Quote from: Sheri on December 29, 2008, 08:22:27 AM
   Your not alone mine came 12/23 and smoked jerky 12/24 smoker worked so we smoked and put jerky in the oven.  Same thing No Power tried everything and the Element missing nuts. Put a nut on still no power tested everthing and just sent the warrenty info in after it happened but Holiday...  I'm waiting for return email.

Welcome to the fourm Sheri!

Sorry to hear your having problems first rattle out of the box, I too had some issues with my unit at first, Bradley customer service is top notch they'll get ya fixed up!  Almost sounds like the fuseable link inside the tower is bad!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

CoastalBend

This is extremely frustrating.  Sheri, you will need to call in and talk to Customer Service.  They are replacing my Smoke Generator after we tried to trouble shoot and couldnt find the fix.  They wont guarantee overnight shipping though (even after you fork over the $75 for it), so I hope you dont have company coming for New Years like we do.

smokeitall

Quote from: CoastalBend on December 29, 2008, 09:15:55 AM
This is extremely frustrating.  Sheri, you will need to call in and talk to Customer Service.  They are replacing my Smoke Generator after we tried to trouble shoot and couldnt find the fix.  They wont guarantee overnight shipping though (even after you fork over the $75 for it), so I hope you dont have company coming for New Years like we do.

If you live by St. Louis, you can borrow my smoke generator, but I am leaving for Wisconsin in about two hours.

IKnowWood

I would try a fuse in the back.  I blew mine and I needed to replace the fuse with a  new 10AMP one.  Turned on and Pop all back.  At least the generator.  I then had to replace the bulb for the cab. But mine was a known power issue.  And well out of warranty.  The fuse I say it could be.  Try to plug the cabinet durect to wall without the gnerator.  That should at least narrow it down.

IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

CoastalBend

I appreciate everyone's responses.  I tried all of the suggestions, without success.  Hopefully, I will have my replacement tomorrow. 

Sheri

We tried everything also they are sending a new controller board so we will see if that solves our problem.. I hope so I need some baby back ribs.....lol