recipe for smoking beef roast.

Started by uniman, December 29, 2008, 04:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uniman

New to the forum, just got a BM, and LOVE IT!!!

My mom wants me to smoke a beef roast for her this weekend.  Hard to find recipes/instructions for that.  Let me know what you got.

Oh also, why after smoking does it say to put meat in a cooler with towels for a couple hours???  New to smoking, and have never understood that.

THANKS!!!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum uniman!

I would coat it in olive oil, salt and pepper, insert slivers of garlic, and smoke @ 200F with 3-4 hours of smoke until an IT of 140-145F for rare. Or you can go to 190F for "fall apart" It depends on how tender a roast (cut) you start out with.

I'm going with a top round on Wednesday night.

You might also want to search for posts by beefmann. He does alot of Roasts.

Edit:

FTC is a dual purpose procedure:

1. It is a rest for the meat to allow the juices to redistribute and "coast" to serving temp

2. It allows you to have to meat done ahead of time and use FTC to hold the meat until serving.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Rub in Walnut Oil,
Sprinkle with Monterey Seasoning
Garlic slivers if you want or to kick it up - slivers of jalepenos or green onions.
Smoke as above with Pecan or Mesquite - Pecan is preferred since the marries with the Walnut oil so well.

Also like to use a rub with either a little cocoa and/or coffee in it with beef.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

HCT

Welcome to the forum uni. Enjoy that roast. ;)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

firerescueman

yes,  welcome to the forum and let us know how that roast turns out!
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

uniman

Will do guys, thanks for the responses!!!

uniman

Here is how we turned out, my very first smoke ever, doing a tougher piece of meat (beef roast).

We will be having the best sandwiches ever!!

Piker

great looking beef. Just remember to use your imagination when it comes to seasoning, use what you like best and that taste will show up in the meat. I experiment always and never do the same thing twice so thats why I am looking on here all the time for new stuff.Dave   

commonsense

Looks good.  I'm pretty new to and have wanted to try doing a beef roast.

Smoking Duck

I have a round roast (small one about 3 pounds) that I'm going to smoke tomorrow.  Here's the marinade that I'm going to let it sit in overnight and will smoke at 205F until reaching an IT of 145.  Then let it FTC for a couple of hours.  Will probably use hickory/maple combo as far as wood is concerned.

1/3 cup Olive Oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup red wine (dry)
1 tsp. ketchup
2 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. thyme
1 bay leaf, crumbled
1 sprig of rosemary (I substitue with 1/2 tsp of ground rosemary)
1/2 tsp. salt
Black pepper
1 small onion
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire

SD

Will post pics tomorrow.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra