What To Do?

Started by mjack1957, December 30, 2008, 06:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjack1957

As a new Bradley user, I've been devouring the information on this forum.  I'm a firm believer in the more you know the better decision you can make.  I'm awaiting the shipping of a DBS from Barbeques.com.  The total cost with chips and shipping is $594 (no cover included).  What has really peaked my interest is the OBS with a PID.  This seems to be a much cheaper alternative with even more precise temp control.  Since I'm not an electronics geek, the option of plug and play with the Auber is very appealing.  Amazon has the OBS plus chips and cover for $363.  If I add the Auber PID, I still come out better and have more precise temp control than the DBS.

Now these are the view of a newbie to the Bradley family of smokers.  I would really like to hear the opinions of others who've tried various other set-ups.  I just want to make the wisest decision when it comes to spending my money.  I won't be smoking everyday; more of a weekend enthusiast.  More than likely my main meats will be turkey, chicken, brisket, ribs and fish (love smoked mahi mahi); maybe an occasional butt if I get ambitious.

Please give your views on the options available.   :-\

Smoking Duck

I have both the OBS and the BDS.  If I have to go with one, it would be the OBS with PID, hands down.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

mjack1957

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 30, 2008, 06:48:11 AM
I have both the OBS and the BDS.  If I have to go with one, it would be the OBS with PID, hands down.

SD

SD can you give your reasons.  I'm leaning the same way.  As a matter of fact, as I'm typing this I'm on hold with Barbeques.com to cancel my order for my DBS.  To me Amazon has the best priced package.  But from an operational standpoint, I'd like to hear the reasons for your choice.

Smoking Duck

You get better temp control with the OBS+PID than the DBS alone.  The OBS is much easier to cold smoke with.  As I've said, I've got both and use the DBS very infrequently.

Be sure to check with yardandpool.com.  They are pretty competetive with prices and their customer service is outstanding.  You deal with a big company and you get big company customer service.  Of course, your call, but if asking my opinion, I'm gonna give it as straight as I can.  I'll never do business again with a big company (both for customer service and I like helping out small businesses any day versus the big box companies).

leroybr

What is PID for the smoker.

Mr Walleye

Hi Leroybr and welcome to the forum.

A PID is a temperature control device that a number of members here on the forum use to control the temps more accurately in the Bradley. You can build your own or you can purchase a plug & play one from a company called Auber Instruments.

Also, if you haven't already, click on the smoker in the bottom of my post. You will go to the recipe site. Lots of tried and true recipes from all the fine folks here on the site. There is also instructions on building a PID there as well there is a basic FAQ section for the Bradley.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Stargazer

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 30, 2008, 06:48:11 AM

SD
Wow SD you got some heavy artillery and arsenal there. Can I ask, do you designate one of your Bradley's just for cold smoking or something in particular, and use the other for general smoking? I bet that's a pretty cool set up ya got :D
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

Smoking Duck

Well, Star, truth be told, I originally had a DBS.  It got a little messed up in the house fire. The insurance company considered it non-salvageable, so they wrote it off.  I got an OBS from Bryan at yardandpool.com to replace the DBS.  Then, because I've been bored stiffless since losing my job, I decided I could try and fix the DBS, so I did.  I very rarely use the DBS anymore because the OBS with PID is easier to use.  However, once I get my big stickburner smoker built, I might just try my hand at catering and may have to use the DBS a little more as I might try to branch off into sausages, etc.  If I could find a way to combine the OBS and DBS towers into one, I think it would be a perfect size for sausage, bacon, etc.

Now, all I'll need after getting my new stickburner built (which will lovingly be named Sweet Hazel) is a Traeger and a dehydrator and I'll be set.  ;D

Stargazer

SD, you would make a killing if you got into catering. To many pictures you posted of your food that kept me drooling. I can easily see your catering business take off.

Just becareful when making menus for clients to keep. If they have pictures of your Garlic Roast or other wicked things you been making and posting here, they would probably eat the menu and lose the business phone number.

Good luck with everything  ;D

Smoking Duck

Well, thank you Star.  Truth be told is that the only reason I would consider doing it is that there are absolutely no good Q joints anywhere around here.  The people here are starving for a good Q.  There is actually a tiny little place about 3 miles from me that used to be a BBQ joint.  The place is only about as big as my living room, if that big.  It's been closed many years and I may even consider trying to use that building as a base of operations as I think there's a smoker built into the building.  I'l try to get around there soon and take a pic of the place and see what yins guys think.

SD

Stargazer

I would love to see a picture when you get around to it.

Also, keep in mind, people starving for good bbq + your great bbq... that pretty much equals a darn good possibility you will have a tight following.

You really never know.

I seen on travel channel about bbq in America. They showed alot of very tiny places, but the name gotten out so far that people literally pilgrimage to their favorite bbq places at least once a year.

You could very well easily be one of them. Heck, I'll even go this far, your pictures and posts of what you cook really inspire me to try new things 'except broccolli  ??? ' . And Im sure many others feel the same way too.

I think you will be surprised with the loyal customers you start getting. They say food joints go out of business quick, but the only ones I see that go down are usually the real over priced snooty places, or grease pits where they don't serve anything special except heat up something frozen and slap it together. Which is the total opposite of your style, which is what the people are hungry for in the first place.

You get it up and going, make a logo, Ill post it in my footer next to Yard & Pool

jeff_smoke

Hi,
    maybe this should be a separate thread, but since you all were talking about the PID...
I have the OBS and was considering the Auber unit. Other than the smoked salmon that I saw on the
Auber site, is there much need for the higher end unit that does the timed, temp changes?
I'm wondering if I bought the cheaper unit if I might kick myself later for not having that
additional capability. Also where's the best place to buy the cheaper one (price-wise).

deb415611

Quote from: jeff_smoke on December 31, 2008, 03:35:41 AM
Hi,
    maybe this should be a separate thread, but since you all were talking about the PID...
I have the OBS and was considering the Auber unit. Other than the smoked salmon that I saw on the
Auber site, is there much need for the higher end unit that does the timed, temp changes?
I'm wondering if I bought the cheaper unit if I might kick myself later for not having that
additional capability. Also where's the best place to buy the cheaper one (price-wise).

Jeff,

Off the top of my head other things that have temp changes are sausage & the ham that Habs did recently.

I originally bought the cheaper one and recently emailed Auber to ask if it could be upgraded if I sent it in.  I can't remember exactly what I paid but the price to send it in and upgrade was pretty close to the price difference between the two.   So if you decide to go with the non-programmable unit it can be upgraded in the future if you decide you should have purchased the programmable one. 

Deb

jeff_smoke

Hi Deb,
     the upgrade possibility is pretty cool. I think I will go for the non-programmable then
as the programmable model is nearly as expensive as the smoker itself. I'm just not there
yet. I forgot to advance the pucks into the smoker last night for about the first forty five minutes.
I probably don't yet deserve the programmable unit.  ;)
Thanks a bunch for the info !
- Jeff

Smoking Duck

Jeff,
My school of thought is always go with the toy you can afford even if it's more than you think you need.  Better to have it and not use it than need it and not have it.  Of course, it goes without saying that if you can't afford it, don't even consider it.

SD