A little Whine anyone?

Started by Caneyscud, December 30, 2008, 07:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Oh, the frustration!
I can't wait until I don't have to study anymore!  It's really cutting into my enjoyment in life.  And then, the sausage making forum starts.  I'm not liking you guys and gals who already have all the goodies to make sausage right now!  Ever since my favorite sausage place closed, Krause's in New Braunfels, Texas.  I have always wanted to try to replicate their sausage.  Even the close second, Kruez's in Lockhart, Texas doesn't completely fill the void.  Looked and looked for a recipe.  Three weeks ago, I found their recipe.  But do I have a grinder or a stuffer or casings.   NNNnnnnoooooooo.   I do have the smoker now thoough - so first steps are outta the way.  Doing research on sausage equipment and hopefully after my test, I will pull the trigger and get them coming my way.  Man, I wish I didn't have to make these hard decisions - new fly rod, new grill, trip to Port O'Connor to fish, more pucks, Hockey tickets, new Fein Multi-tasker, or new sausage equipment.  Makes my head hurt!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Mr Walleye

I feel your pain Caney!  ;)

Well... not really but I understand!  :D

Just think how good that first sausage is going to be...  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Since your Whining about not having all the Goodies!!!!  ;D Would you be willing to cough up that recipe? We might make some and post pics just to rub it in alittle!!! :D ;D I mean experiment with it and give you the results. Be your guinea pigs so to speak.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Would you, could you please - it would make me feel so much better about myself!  ;D :-\ :'(

I'll share anyway.  Supposed to have come directly from Glenn Krause himself.

Makes 5 pounds of link sausage.

1 Tablespoon ground coriander
1 Tablespoon ground cumino
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon of seasoned salt
1 Tablespoon of freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
3# boneless boston butt - trimmed of excess fat
2# beef chuck
1/2 cup of ice water as needed
5 foot of 38 to 42 mm hog casing

Pork 3/8" grinder plate
Beef 3/16" grinder plate

Mix all
stuff
smoke cook

Mr Walleye

Caney

Looks like an interesting recipe. I bet it's got some punch!  ;) The only thing I don't see is any cure. The cure may alter the taste somewhat but if you are going to smoke it I would add 1 tsp. of cure #1 per 5 lbs of sausage.

JMHO

Mike

pensrock

Yea if its going to get smoked some pink #1 would be a good idea.

Caneyscud

It would come either cooked thoroughly or dried.  If smoke cooked (barbecued) would it still need the cure?  Although I think the pink would be darling!

Mr Walleye

Caney

The danger point for meat is being in the temp zone between 40 and 140 degrees. Ground meat is more susceptible to bugs than whole muscle meat. Because sausage is smoked at 165 to 170 degrees it takes a fair amount of time, sometimes 6 to 8 hours, for the IT of the sausage to get out of the danger zone. This is the reason to protect it by using cure #1 for any sausage you smoke.

A really good book to get is Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas. It is considered the Bible when it comes to sausage making and has lots of great recipes in it.

Here are some more links on food safety.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=21#post21
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=9#post9

Mike

Smokin Soon

The Rytek book got me off to a great start on sausage making. Also some fantastic recipes here. You can rigt click "save as" and build a nice book.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm

Caneyscud

I've got the Kutas book coming from Amazon already.  I've already found Poli's site and have already printed all his recipes out.  In fact I now have a 3" binder full of sausage recipes just waiting.  I get a little OCD at times ???  Point well taken on the cure #1,  Makes sense, even though the recipe did not include any mention. 

Shakespeare

Mr Walleye

Caney

You'll love that book!  ;) Money well spent for sure.

It really is great read! I've read, re-read, re-read and continue to refer to it on a regular basis.

Mike

Tenpoint5

Caney
I have all three books, the one by Rytek, Charcuterie, and the 3 in Binder all are wonderful aides in sausage making. I would assume that the sausage recipe you posted is for a FRESH sausage that should be grilled with smoke.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Got two Charcuterie books - both pretty good.  Bought a couple or years ago to see how hard it would be to make Proscuitto.  Decided I better learn how to make a country ham first.  We found my FIL's recipe taped to the bottom of a dresser drawer when we sold the estate.  He used to make 200 to 400 a year.  Alas, he died 9 years before I met my wife - so I couldn't get the low down on country hams.  Also have some kinda older book that looks to be self-published - but has lots of good info - if I could only find it.   >:(  I think you are correct with the sausage being fresh and grilled with smoke.  Never did get to see Krause's smoker, but was told it was a wood fired masonry job.  The sausage was only sold fully-cooked.  Kreuz's smoke-grills their's in these long masonry pits using big oak logs.  Again, I have only seen it sold fully cooked.  Krause's was in pretty uniform 9 - 10" dia rings, while Kreuz's is much more variable in dia but generally smaller (6-8" dia.)  Both sell/sold a dried sausage that sure tasted like it is/was the same basic recipe as the grilled product.   

Shakespeare