hanging sausage

Started by Piker, December 30, 2008, 08:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piker

AS the BOS already has a ledge at the top all I did was take an old broom handle cut to the right length and then nothched the ends flat and then just slide them in. Can smoke a lot more sausage now. You gain a little in length as it is closer to the top.

Mr Walleye

Piker

Here is a picture of how I use an upside down Bradley rack on spacers to gain a little space. I then hang the sausage with large hog rings. This way you can space them however you see fit. I have since built a large sausage smoker that will hold around 80 lbs at a time which is how I do it now.

Click to enlarge

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Caribou

Do you guys see any variances between the doneness from top to bottom when you hang them vertically?
Just curious because I noticed that my jerky will dry a lot faster on the bottom racks if I didn't rotate every hour.
Carolyn

Mr Walleye

Carolyn

There is some but not as much as in the case of jerky. I find the air flows (heat rising) better with it hung. When doing jerky you tend to fill the racks which limits the air circulation as well the jerky itself is taking on the heat and giving off moisture which tends to cool the air which is the reason you have to rotate racks. A circulation fan does help with this.

Mike

NePaSmoKer

I use a SS sausage stick, has a form to it so the sausage/snack stix get done on the top while hanging.

nepas

smokeitall

Quote from: Mr Walleye on December 30, 2008, 08:41:12 AM
Piker

Here is a picture of how I use an upside down Bradley rack on spacers to gain a little space. I then hang the sausage with large hog rings. This way you can space them however you see fit. I have since built a large sausage smoker that will hold around 80 lbs at a time which is how I do it now.

Click to enlarge

Mike

I figured you would use your big smoker and be able to let me hand about 4 feet down  :) :) :)  Thats my plan when I finally get mine done

sherlock

I just cut 4 - 1/2" oak dowels to length and hang  the sausage over them. Works fine. I do links and place the sausage over the bar berween links.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: smokeitall on January 14, 2009, 12:43:09 PM
Quote from: Mr Walleye on December 30, 2008, 08:41:12 AM
Piker

Click to enlarge

Mike

I figured you would use your big smoker and be able to let me hand about 4 feet down  :) :) :)  Thats my plan when I finally get mine done

Smokeitall

Here's a picture of the big unit with 60 lbs in it.

Click to enlarge...

Mike