Cold Smoke Question

Started by mjack1957, December 31, 2008, 07:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjack1957

From my reading, it appears that the ideal temp for cold smoking should be around 80F.  This question would take into consideration the following configuration; an OBS with PID.  To my understanding, the smoker is plugged into the PID which in turn controls the time and temp.  If the smoke generator needs heat to get the puck smoking, how can you get down to temps at 80F?.  I was reading that the smoke generator alone produces about 124F.  Is my logic right or wrong?  I'm supposing the PID would not allow the smoker chamber itself to be turned on... only the smoke generator.

So if I wanted to smoke mahi mahi, how would I keep the temps low enough using the OBS and PID?  And is 80F a good temp to smoke fish?

Smoking Duck

The PID that I have does not control the smoke generator; it controls the tower.  When doing a cold smoke, I do not use the PID.  I simply plug the Smoke generator into the outlet and pull any plugs connected to the tower.  I monitor the tower temp with the Maverick and will open the door if needed to release some heat.  If using a cold smoke setup, heat will not be a problem.

Haven't smoked Mahi Mahi but if you go to the Fish section, you can see how Kummok's Salmon is prepared and go from there.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

manxman

See:

http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm

for a good cold smoke set up which should allow smoking at a couple of degrees above ambient. Cold smoking should be < 80F ideally, certainly <90F.

Placing ice in a water bowl in the smoking cabinet may also help if you have a job keeping the temp down.  :)
Manxman

mjack1957

Quote from: manxman on December 31, 2008, 08:19:06 AM
See:

http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm

for a good cold smoke set up which should allow smoking at a couple of degrees above ambient. Cold smoking should be < 80F ideally, certainly <90F.

Placing ice in a water bowl in the smoking cabinet may also help if you have a job keeping the temp down.  :)

I had seen that link earlier but was confused about what to do with the PID.  Have you see this?

http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smoker-Cold-Smoke-Adapter-p6106.html

I'm thinking about ordering it as soon as I get my smoker and try it out a few times.  I live in Orlando, FL and good fish is abundant. So I plan on doing a lot of cold smoking for the fish.  My new OBS is scheduled for delivery this Saturday... yeehaw! Can't wait to be done with my Weber Bullet... although it has served me well.

Gizmo

PID is for heat and for cold smoke, you will leave the heat off.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

If you are in real cold conditions and you want to maintain a cabinet temperature of around 80°F, then use the cold smoke set up and plug the cabinet (not the generator) into the PID. Set the PID for 80°F.  I have a temperature control device and use that type of setup when I want to maintain cold smoke temperatures that are higher then the ambient temperature. Depending on how old your OBS is you may need to swap the short cord with a desktop computer power cord.

PS.
Other wise just leave the cabinet unplugged, and don't use the PID.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Up In Smoke

i don't know how much help this will be as i have only tried it a couple of times while smoking cheese.
first let me say that i like a very lite smoke on my cheese so it doesn't stay in for long. only about 15 min. over cherry.
the ambient temp was only around 50 degrees, but i still took a small cookie sheet and placed it in the rack above my
cheese, then filled it with ice, i didn't use the heater in the smoker nor did i use a cold smoke set up.
my thought was that cold air falls, even if it did get a little warm this would help.
i don't know how this would work with a longer cold smoke as the condensation from the rack above could  become an issue.

please be gentle remember i am a rookie.
p.s. i used a bubba puck on edge to keep the door open just a little and a coors light to keep the wind from blowing the door open
farther......i would post a pic but i am not sure how.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

pensrock

So that's what Coors Light is used for?  ;) ;D

Just kidding ya.  :)

deb415611

Up In Smoke

pens,
it's for keepin' out the werewolfs..of course.
2 Bradley OBS
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Up In Smoke

i think the photo gods are angry.
i tried photo bucket but for whatever reason i cannot get it right.
2 Bradley OBS

Gizmo

If you can be more specific, we might be able to help out to get you going.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: smokinrookie on January 02, 2009, 03:28:08 PM
i think the photo gods are angry.
i tried photo bucket but for whatever reason i cannot get it right.

Here's a couple of links that may help you out:
How do I add pictures to my posts?
How Large Should Images Be For Posting?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beyondclarity

All -

I'm in Minnesota.  As you can imagine it's cold this time of year.  What is the logic behind keeping the cabinet at 80-90F when cold smoking?

I haven't done a cold smoke yet and am looking to understand more about its process vs. hot smoking.

I ask because I was thinking about trying a steaks - I'd like to smoke it without cooking it whatsoever, then throw it on the grill.

Smoking Duck

Howdy Beyond!

When cold smoking, my object is to keep the temp as low as possible.  I use the 80-90F mark as the mark I don't want to go over.  In cold smoking, my object is to introduce some smoke to the food......not begin the cooking process.  The lower I can get the temp in the box, the better.

For doing steaks, put the smoke on the steaks (I do about 1:40 TO 2 hours when I do steaks).  I then vac seal (or wrap tightly in plastic wrap) the steaks and let them rest in the refer overnight.  The smoke will really travel throughout the meat while resting.

It does raise an interesting question.  Generally, the 140F mark is the point where it's believed that smoke adhesion stops on meats.  Some may debate this.  However, is there a low point (in temp) where the meat will not accept smoke?  I've always wondered if there was a low point (thus a temperature range) in doing a cold smoke.

Perhaps, Professor Habs will see this post and clue me in  ;D  I would assume if anyone on here would know, it would be him.

Anyways, my cold smokes have always ranged in the 60-80F range as I don't currently use the clod-smoke set up.  I will soon however!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra