Cold Smoke Question

Started by mjack1957, December 31, 2008, 07:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKnowWood

SD is right, you don't want the temps to get to high.  I never try to cols smoke if my ambients to high.  Two methods to cold smoke one is by using the classic off-set smoke generator in a box trick (Search for it on the recipe site, i think its posted there also) and other approach is to just use the smoke generator to smolder the pucks and not use the cabinet heater to heat the cabinet.  The issue here is again ambients.  The smoke generator will still generate a good amount of heat in the cabinet so the steak will begin to warm up.  But if your ambients are not high, not much.  You can add ice in the pan and add a layer of use in there also (under the steak but leaving paths for smoke to get to the steaks (or you will have backup of smoke the wrong way). 

Now as for duration and timing.  I love to smoke my NY Strips, T-Bone and Porterhouse then finish on the Grill.  How I do it is simple.  I use the regular setup and add ice when the smoker is in the 30 to 50 degree range.  Then I add 1 hour to 1:20 and if its cold enough 1:40 of misquete then let it go.  No warm up no setting the meat out early.  As cold as I can go.

Once smoke is done, I take out and go to searing ready grill.  And sear it both sides and test.  The Steaks are norming done in 5 minutes and come out perfect every time.  Pink inside and juicy as can be and nicely flavored.  If I cook it to long on the grill it losses some smoke.

Putting in a bag would work also I guess, but I am not usually that patient.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Habanero Smoker

There is a point at which if the surface it too cold smoke will not penetrate, so the colder you go the less penetration there is, but I believe you will still obtain smoke adhesion. I try not to go below 50°F.

As far as the 140°F goes, that pertains to smoke penetration, when the surface of the meat obtains that temperature, it becomes too hot for the necessary chemical reactions to take place. Smoke adhesion will continue as long as you apply smoke. As the surface gets hotter, the ability for smoke to adhere lessens.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Up In Smoke

WAHOO!
i think i finally got it.
here is the smoked cheese set up i used.
i did not remove the smoke generator cause it was cool enough
outdoors to beat the heat.

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Up In Smoke

the happy fella at the bottom is the ever illusive cheese hound!
2 Bradley OBS
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Mr Walleye

The cheese looks great SR!... and your assistant looks good too!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

tsquared

Beyondclarity
QuoteWhat is the logic behind keeping the cabinet at 80-90F when cold smoking?
I don't think it's so important to keep the temp between 80--90 when doing meat, but it definitely is if you're doing cold smoked fish. If you are doing salmon, anything above 90 and you start to cook the fish, which will give you a different product than the smoked lox you are trying for with the cold smoked process.
Smokinrookie--you must get some "shrinkage with an assistant like that gurading the smoker! :D
T2

Up In Smoke

T2,
i do have a major shrinkage problem with the cheese and my jerky..
wonder what the common denominator could be?? :D :D :D
i haven't tried to cold smoke fish yet but have done some ribeyes and hot dogs
man what a difference.
i did the meats when it was about 25 degrees and didn't have to use any special set up.
just kept the door cracked and the meat up high and near the back of the box, vent wide open.
2 Bradley OBS

bootman674

Tried the pan of ice method this weekend when I cold smoked a pork loin, it worked great. Took the drip pan out and let the smoke go at it, temp inside of the box remained around 80 as our air temp was rising quickly here in Washington, but the meat stayed cold. Good tip thank you.