Briquettes keeping get wet

Started by sajano, December 31, 2008, 03:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sajano

Hi,

I have a stainless steel smoker.. got it earlier this year..

I keep finding that the briqueets keep getting wet as they travel to the heating pad.. and then they swell up, and when the arm tries to advace the briquette it just break the briquette up and then the briquette is useless..

I guess some how the drippings from the meat is falling on them.. anyone else have this issue? The meat is no where near the edges of the smoker..

Thanks,
Sajan

Smoking Duck

Is your vent closed when you're smoking?  It sounds almost as if there is too much moisture building up inside of the smoker and that's what is causing your bisquettes to swell up.  Do you have smoke coming out of the smoke genrator at all?

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

Yes check to make sure the vent is open. The other thing I can think of is to check that your 'V' tray is installed correctly. I have seen pictures on here before where the tray was installed upside down. The tray should be installed so the drippings fall into the water bowl in the bottom of the smoker. The V should be down not up. Other than that, I have no idea.

HCT

Quote from: pensrock on December 31, 2008, 03:33:01 PM
Yes check to make sure the vent is open. The other thing I can think of is to check that your 'V' tray is installed correctly. I have seen pictures on here before where the tray was installed upside down. The tray should be installed so the drippings fall into the water bowl in the bottom of the smoker. The V should be down not up. Other than that, I have no idea.

That's the first thing I thought of also.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

sajano

Hi All,

Thanks for the ideas.. my vent is closed ... I'll open it up for the next run. (might be a while and its nice and rainy here in oregon).

The vtray is installed correctly.

Cheers,
Sajan

pensrock

Keep the vent at least 1/4 open at all times. If doing poultry or other very moist meats open it compleatly. Its bad for the smoke generator to run with the vent closed. Actually most things I smoke I keep the vent open 1/2 to full open. The generator makes plenty of smoke.