Beef sticks w/ pics

Started by drano, December 31, 2008, 09:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drano

Well, I haven't done beef sticks in several years.  So I brewed up a 12.5 lb batch yesterday, and put half of it on the smoker about noon today. 
They got 1 hour of maple and 1 hour of hickory. 
Wow, they taste great.  Family approves too. 
But my fan kept the door side of the smoker hotter than the back, so I pulled the front two sticks of them, and gave the back stick another hour.  (once again, Thermopen made it REAL easy to test the internal temp). 

Total time in smoker was about 6 hours--140 @ 2 hours to dry, then 170 to cook, and 180 to finish off the last stick.  the last 6 lb of it will most likely get 175 deg and see if they get done sooner. 

Yep, got pics.  Here are the 3 oak rods with the beef sticks hanging, almost done. 

Door and middle stick done first

All done, cooled on ice and ready for vacuum pack

At this rate, beef sticks have become my favorite, and most likely won't stay in the freezer long.  Summer Sausage, at least with 2.5" casings, just takes too long to smoke.  The beef sticks were easy. 
drano

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

drano

FLBentRider
Thanks!
I was surprized how well they turned out.  Several years ago, the first batch didn't work out so good which is why I didn't make any since then.  I'll be making them as often as I have time now!
I also need to experiemnt with some recipies out of the book I have so I can customize the flavor.  This one is a little heavy on the black pepper for my liking.
Its Pepper Stick mix from here:  http://www.friscospices.com/sausageseasoningmixes.asp   
drano

deb415611

hillbillysmoker

Looks great..thanks for sharing.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Quote from: drano on December 31, 2008, 09:26:05 PM

I also need to experiment with some recipies out of the book I have so I can customize the flavor.   
drano

There you go, now your talking. Love the experimental stage even when you mess up they still taste good. Looks good so far Drano keep us posted with your recipes and experiments.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

QuoteThere you go, now your talking. Love the experimental stage even when you mess up they still taste good. Looks good so far Drano keep us posted with your recipes and experiments.

Drano,

While experimenting, you can send all your failures to me at.......  ;D ;D ;D
pens

lumpy

Any chance you would like to share your beef recipe with the rest of us?
They look great!

Lumpy

drano

Lumpy,
For this batch I used Frisco brand pepper stick, and 21mm collagen casings.
http://www.friscospices.com/sausageseasoningmixes.asp
A clear black pepper flavor, but not overpowering. 
get smokin
drano

NePaSmoKer

The stix look great drano..........gotta love em

nepas

sherlock

Looks great. I must try some soon. Santa brought me a camera and as soon as I figure it out I will document my smoke.
;D

smokeitall

Looks great Drano..My batch of 25lbs is just about gone.  They were awesome and I have requests to make a lot more....And so far they have been my favorite to make.

drano

Thanks everyone.
These have become my favorite also.  They're just so easy, and don't take as long as 3 lb summer sausage to get up to temp. 
I gave some to the boss today, and he really liked them too.
get smokin
drano