Smoking vs cooking ribs and others

Started by Treeman, January 01, 2009, 01:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treeman

Just got my smoker for Christmas and can't wait to use it. I've been reading quit a bit about the smoking process. By the way great stuff in there from you regulars. I have a newbie question.  I understand that cooking slow and long is the way for great ribs....but when you do an 8 hour set is it with the smoke on the whole time? or just for the initial set? Do you cook them in the Bradely smoker for the whole period or move them to another oven? I am sure there are multiple options, but need some insight here. Like to keep it simple and out of my wifes way. I've read several ways I want to try, one from Iceman, but not sure on the total smoking time. Thanks ???

iceman

Quote from: Treeman on January 01, 2009, 01:09:30 PM
Just got my smoker for Christmas and can't wait to use it. I've been reading quit a bit about the smoking process. By the way great stuff in there from you regulars. I have a newbie question.  I understand that cooking slow and long is the way for great ribs....but when you do an 8 hour set is it with the smoke on the whole time? or just for the initial set? Do you cook them in the Bradely smoker for the whole period or move them to another oven? I am sure there are multiple options, but need some insight here. Like to keep it simple and out of my wifes way. I've read several ways I want to try, one from Iceman, but not sure on the total smoking time. Thanks ???

I usually only smoke my baby backs for 2 to 3 hours depending on the amount of ribs. The rest is cooking time either in the smoker or in the oven depending on weather. Even with larger cuts like briskets, max smoke time for me would not exceed 4 hours. Chickens and turkey never more than 2 hours of smoke for my taste.
Have fun!!!  ;D

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum Treeman!

Ice has got ya covered!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

car54

Welcome Treeman,

Glad that you asked your question. Everyone hear is willing to help. The Bradley is a great smoker. Come here often .

Brad