Pork Loin

Started by commonsense, January 01, 2009, 08:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

commonsense

I read another post to cook it till 140 degrees then pull it out. 

Is it still pink in the middle or well done at that time?

Also what does FTC mean?

How long should I smoke it for during the cooking?  Its maybe a 2lb loin I'm using.

Thanks for any advice.

Commonsense

Smoking Duck

I pull the pork at 140 then FTC.

FTC =

Foil (I double or triple wrap mine in foil with the shiny side towards the meat.

Towel (Wrap in towel; I use a large bath towel)

Cooler (I place mine in a cooler; I will fill cooler up prior to placing meat in with very HOT water then dump the water prior to putting meat in) You can also place in a microwave or an oven.  If I place in oven, I preheat the oven at the lowest setting and then make sure the oven is off prior to putting meat in oven.

Utilizing this method, you can keep the meat for up to 6 hours to time dinner better.  During this time, the IT of the meat will usually rise ~ 4-5 degrees.

It will still have a little pink but will be safe for consumption at that point.  I would do about 40-60 minutes of smoke with a light wood (apple, cherry, pecan, alder; no mesquite  ;D) and probably plan on at least 2:30 or more depending on ambient conditions.  A small pork loin will not take very long.  I'd place bacon on a rack above the loin as a loin can dry out with very little fat content.  The bacon will drip on the loin and help keep it moist.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 01, 2009, 10:09:59 AM
I pull the pork at 140 then FTC.

FTC =

Foil (I double or triple wrap mine in foil with the shiny side towards the meat.

Towel (Wrap in towel; I use a large bath towel)

Cooler (I place mine in a cooler; I will fill cooler up prior to placing meat in with very HOT water then dump the water prior to putting meat in) You can also place in a microwave or an oven.  If I place in oven, I preheat the oven at the lowest setting and then make sure the oven is off prior to putting meat in oven.

Utilizing this method, you can keep the meat for up to 6 hours to time dinner better.  During this time, the IT of the meat will usually rise ~ 4-5 degrees.

It will still have a little pink but will be safe for consumption at that point.  I would do about 40-60 minutes of smoke with a light wood (apple, cherry, pecan, alder; no mesquite  ;D) and probably plan on at least 2:30 or more depending on ambient conditions.  A small pork loin will not take very long.  I'd place bacon on a rack above the loin as a loin can dry out with very little fat content.  The bacon will drip on the loin and help keep it moist.

SD

To add to what Duck said you can also apply your rub on the loin then CYM (Cheap Yellow Mustard) then another coating of your rub.
I do that then cut into 3/4 inch slices for smoked chops on the grill.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

commonsense

Thanks guys I appreciate your help.

I am going to marinate it overnight in a teriyaki/soy marinade and also use this as a baste.

Will this help to keep it from drying out?

At what temp do you think, I was thinking around 200-210 degrees til done. 

Thanks again!

Commonsense

Smoking Duck

That's about the right temp for my tastes.  I try to do everything in that range if possible.

I wouldn't worry about basting, mopping if you use the bacon.

Remember the motto:  if you're looking, you're not cooking  ;D  However, if that is all that will be in the smoker and I believe you live in Florida, getting back up to temp after opening door shouldn't be that much of a problem.

SD

commonsense

Thank you sir.

Nope opposite way I live in MN were its only in the 20's right now so the less I have to open the door the better.

Commonsense

Smoking Duck

Cool..been through there many times on my way to North Dakota......really pretty state with lots of good fishing and hunting.

Habanero Smoker

I generally smoke my at 225°F, and apply 1:40 - 2:00 hours of smoke; but usually 1:40 hours. Pecan is my favorite for pork. If you take it out at 140°F you will not have to worry about it drying out. I don't FTC pork loins, and without the FTC you will still see a carryover of about 3°F - 5°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)