Only smoke for 1/2 the cooking time???

Started by uniman, January 01, 2009, 10:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uniman

Just received a OBS, and noticed it says that one should only smoke for 1/2 the cooking time?

I figured you would smoke the entire time.....

Is this true???

Insights please....  THANKS!!!

Smoking Duck

Uniman,

Welcome!

The Bradley is a unique smoking unit that utilizes the bisquettes.  Each bisquette burns for 20 minutes and then is pushed into the water bowl.  What you get with the Bradley as far as the smoke is concerned is what I refer to as the "extra virgin olive oil" of smoke.  It is the creme de la creme of smoke and as such, it is a very concentrated smoke.  If you were to smoke the entire cook time, it would be very ashen.  With the Bradley, what you wil find is that you really will only use 4 hours of smoke max and then I only use 4 hours on beef and butts.  The rest of the meats, I use less time.  For ribs, I use about 2:40 minutes of smoke and then just cook the rest of the time.  Any more than 4 hours of smoke is wasted wood in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

uniman

Thanks man, it helps a TON.

Will probably just plan on smoking for 4 hours any time I smoke beef.

3 hours for everything else.

Sounds like a decent plan??

Smoking Duck

Sounds like a great plan.  However, I would try the lighter side first.  For ribs, pork loin and the like, start at 2 hours and work your way up.  Remember, you can't take smoke away once applied but it's a lot easier to eat something that is lighter in smoke and sdjust the next time.  Just my two cents.  But, I don't really think you'll overpower too much stuff with three hours of smoke, expecially if you prefer a more smoky flavor.  The beauty of smoking foods is the experimentation.

Be sure to let us know what you think when you do it.

There are plenty of really smart people (unfortunately, I'm not one of them) when it comes to smoking foods and they're always willing to help!

Good luck and Happy New Year!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Consiglieri

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 01, 2009, 10:44:02 AM
the "extra virgin olive oil" of smoke. 

Never thought of it that way, but a very apt comparison-- I was going to say a n a logy but the censor bleeped the word on the preview.   
Consiglieri