Interested in making sausage!!!!

Started by uleez28, January 01, 2009, 10:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uleez28

Hi guys

I was just wondering what everbodies favorite type of sausage is to make? I have the Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas book, But there is tons of recipes in there and I just wanted to know if anybody will share some of their favorites?

Thanks

Jeff

Tenpoint5

Welcome to the forum there Jeff. Sure your gonna find plenty of useful information around here. If you have any questions just ask somebody will be more than willing to help.

In reference to your question about favorite sausage? I like fresh garlic sausage, biershinken, and kielbasa. I myself can not just narrow it down to just one.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoking Duck

Jeff,

That's like asking which of my kids is my favorite.  I just can't do it.

I'll be honest......I haven't met a sausage I didn't like.  The beauty is in trying them all......if you have Rytek's book, you're definitely headed in the right direction.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

I like the kielbasa recipe from Ryteks book.

flht01

I finished a batch of kielbasa and chaurice (click link below) yesterday
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=440
and like them both. Still trying to decide which one to try next.  ;D

Piker

the best I made was Smoking Habenero recipe for summer sausage. A lot depends how you mix it and smoke it etc. it does not turn out the same everytime. I use the recipe and then add some of my favorite things as whole mustard seed,chopped olives,mac and cheese,pimento and sweet pickles. Just finished a bunch before xmas and the kids just about cleaned me out. Its a great hobby and pastime.

Piker

sorry I got it backwards Smoking Habenero

Mr Walleye

Quote from: pensrock on January 01, 2009, 11:56:48 AM
I like the kielbasa recipe from Ryteks book.

I'll second Pens comment. The only thing I do different is add a little Cayenne and I use 50% pork and 50% beef. Everybody loves it and I can't keep enough of it around.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Piker

I will try once more i guess My head is not rite. I apolgize Habenero Smoker

Habanero Smoker

Piker;
No apology necessary. I can understand; you posted early in the morning of New Year's Day. :)

I have to side with flht01; Chaurice is my favorite, followed closely by Spicy Roasted Poblano Sausage; in Charcuterie, by Ruhlman and Polcyn. I make the latter more often do to requests.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

unclebuck

You pretty much have the encyclopedia of sausage making in Kutas' book.  I found some of the recipes to be quite salty, and after some trial & error, I have adjusted the salt content to my tastes.  My personal favorite is his Kabanosy recipe.  I grind the pork shoulder quite coarsely, spice it and leave it overnight and stuff sheep casings the next day.  I cold smoke it with a blend of hickory & maple and hang it to dry for 3-4 days in my garage.  It is still raw, but having followed the recommendations of the public health people about freezing the shoulder for a period of time, the risk of trichnosis is eliminated.  Makes a great snack, especially with a cold Kokanee!!!  They resemble a pepperoni, mildly hot, but sweeter from the caraway seed(which I grind in my coffee grinder).
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

caustic casey

Ryteks book is a bible... a must have if you want to make great sausage.

I made up a recipe based on many of the tips in his book.  They're called "devil dogs", and they are insanely hot.  (Spicy).
Many have been injured by them!

smokeitall

Quote from: uleez28 on January 01, 2009, 10:52:46 AM
Hi guys

I was just wondering what everbodies favorite type of sausage is to make? I have the Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas book, But there is tons of recipes in there and I just wanted to know if anybody will share some of their favorites?

Thanks

Jeff

Hey Jeff what kind of equipment do you have available to use to make the sausage?  Do you have a grinder, stuffer, etc.???