"New Years Ribs" - The Pictorial

Started by Dex, January 01, 2009, 03:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex

Well my smoking new years started on New Years Eve when I made up some the Sheekin Rolls that 10.5 posted. Here is a quick snap shot of those and how they turned out. These are a family favorite.

Now on to the ribs. I picked up a couple racks from a local butcher here. I didnt realize how much meat were on these things. Too much meat for ribs if you ask me. Its almost like I had the ribs, with a loin or roast still on top of them. They were huge! Here are a couple pictures out of the pack.

After a light coating of the rub I made, I wrapped them up and put them in the fridge overnight.

At about 9:30 the next morning, I took them out of the fridge and unwrapped them.

While the ribs were coming up to room temp, I put a coating of brown sugar on them. I saw this on a "competition ribs" video on Youtube.

The brown sugar will melt down as the ribs come up to room temp.

The smoker is now up to heat, and the ribs go in for 2 hours and 40 minutes of Hickory smoke.

After about 7 hours of heat, and some of Iceman's sauce, we have a finished product. As mentioned before, these things were huge and had a ton of meat on them. You can see it in the cut open picture.

Needless to say, they were very very tastey!  :P

Happy New Year Everyone!

FLBentRider

Those are some mighty fine looking ribs, Dex!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Great pictorial Dex!  Sweet Mammy Sassafras!  You weren't kidding about the meat on them bones.  It musta taken 15 minutes to get to the bone!  ;D  

I do really like the pics!  Now, I gotta get me some bones!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611

westexasmoker

Sweet Mother Mary......Those look incredible Dex!  I'm sure ya have some leftovers that need to be sent my way!  ;D  I've got a ham in the smoke.....now I Want RIBS!!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smokin Soon

Wow! I have never seen ribs like those. Under what name of cut were they at the butcher?

Dex

Quote from: Smokin Soon on January 01, 2009, 04:11:40 PM
Wow! I have never seen ribs like those. Under what name of cut were they at the butcher?

Pork back ribs. I asked the girl working why they were so thick. She said it all depended on who cut the meat - some guys leave a little extra on and some take it off. I could have bought the thinner ones, but come on.... MORE MEAT sounded like a no brainer to me  ;D

Consiglieri

Wow those look good.  I'm glad I decided to throw some babybacks in around noon today; I'm going to need them. 
Consiglieri

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Dex on January 01, 2009, 04:14:03 PM
Quote from: Smokin Soon on January 01, 2009, 04:11:40 PM

Pork back ribs. I asked the girl working why they were so thick. She said it all depended on who cut the meat - some guys leave a little extra on and some take it off. I could have bought the thinner ones, but come on.... MORE MEAT sounded like a no brainer to me  ;D

DEX I'm with you MO MEAT!!!!! Those look great.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gizmo

That thickness should be the standard.
Awesome.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Forgot to mention that the Sheekin looks Freekin awesome as well!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

La Quinta

WOW Dex...just plain ole everyday freakin WOW....well done...I have no idea what a sheekin roll is but...I WANT ONE!!!  :D

Dex

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I have about half a rack left over so I know what I will be having for lunch today!

La Quinta - 10.5 posted the Sheekin Roll Ups first. You should really try them out if you haven't. They are wonderful! All credit goes to him  ;D

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8623.0

Caneyscud

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"